Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection slows when my Laptop connects

This is a discussion on Connection slows when my Laptop connects within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Apologies if this has already been posted but it's doing our heads in. Our connection seems fine when my ...

janeo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Connection slows when my Laptop connects

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been posted but it's doing our heads in.
      Our connection seems fine when my 3 housemates connect their laptops wirelessly however as soon as I connect my laptop their connections pretty much die even though mine remains fine. If I connect mine directly to the router it works fine too!

Have scanned for viruses and spyware and found nothing, any and all help appreciated as at the moment I can't connect and I miss the internet

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection slows when my Laptop connects

Wireless can be pretty flaky. If your laptop has a stronger/better quality connection than theirs it is quite possible that your laptop will take the bulk of the available bandwidth.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connection slows when my Laptop connects

I can't connect and I miss the internet
      Why not? It is not your fault they have rubbish connections! Tell them to upgrade their wireless adapters.

What you must also remember is that the total bandwidth of the router is being shared by 4 machines. Even if you have a good connection for your package (Base) and all things being equal you will only have about 1800 kbps to share among you, something like 450kbps each. If you plug in your super laptop you could suck out over 1000kbps for yourself, leaving the rest to squabble for what is left. The best solution would be to upgrade your connection to give you more bandwidth to share among you. That way even if you pull a bit more than the rest, there will still be enough to go round. 1.25 a month each is not much to pay for a good connection.

I think I am right in this, but if I am not, I shall soon be corrected

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.