Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Connection or lack of it to be precise!!!!

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection or lack of it to be precise!!!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone. Now i know you are sitting there thinking ignore this thread its just another idiot who has looked ...

london_red is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Connection or lack of it to be precise!!!!

Hi everyone. Now i know you are sitting there thinking ignore this thread its just another idiot who has looked at anything on this forum and just wants an instant answer. Well in this case that is not true. I have trauled through this forum and i have tried everything i can think of to connect wirelessly to Sky broadband but i have had absolutely no luck at all.

Right first things first i have tried changing the WPA to WEP then to no security to try and establish a connection. Nothing. I have changed the channel, the mode has been changed to every different combination, the setup access list has the correct box ticked and my laptop on the list (using the mac address). I have done all of this using the 192.168.0.1

I used the Windows wireless network connection and my sky has excellent signal strength yet if i click it it will say please wait while windows connects to skyxxxxxx network. Waiting for the network. Then this box disappears and i am not connected. However if i use my intel proset for wireless i have no signal for my sky router at all. It says out of range which i dont understand. My wireless card on my laptop is an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 BG Network Connection#2. I have tried imputting an ip address into the properties of the TCP/IP see if that would help but nothing. I have tried another laptop but still nothing. Im just totally confused as to why it wont connect when i have good signal and the whole security thing is usually the issue but even with no security on at all i have no connection.

My ethernet connection works most of the time but randomly does cut out now and again. I have absolutely no idea what to do now. Sky are most unhelpful and i dont see the point of phoning them as they just waste my time.

If anyone here could help it would be much appreciated as i am about to go back to Uni and my student house needs the wireless as we all need computers and are all doing different courses.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Connection or lack of it to be precise!!!!

If you really have tried all the usual remedies -- turning off UPnP, changing channel, checking range by putting computer and router in same room -- I think I would also look at downloading TCPOptimizer (freeware from usual sites) and posting your router stats here (see tutorials for how).

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

i would also say disable yuor firewall if yo have one and make sure the windows effort is also switched off ( it has a habit of turning on randomly).

The Declaration is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by london_red View Post
      My wireless card on my laptop is an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 BG Network Connection#2.
      Have you tried configuring your wireless connection through intel wireless 2200bg and not windows.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection support

I am unfamiliar with your set up but this might help.

Best of luck

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by london_red View Post
      the setup access list has the correct box ticked and my laptop on the list (using the mac address). I have done all of this using the 192.168.0.1
      First off don't use the "Wireless Station Access List" feature when you're trying to set up a network. One error in the MAC address and you're stuffed.

Second, I'm a bit confused about "I have done all of this using the 192.168.0.1". That would normally be the IP address of the router. What IP are you trying to give or have given the laptop?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      First off don't use the "Wireless Station Access List" feature when you're trying to set up a network. One error in the MAC address and you're stuffed.

Second, I'm a bit confused about "I have done all of this using the 192.168.0.1". That would normally be the IP address of the router. What IP are you trying to give or have given the laptop?
      Cheers for the replys everyone. Ill try and give you all as much information as possible so its easier for you to help me. You have all already been more helpful than the sky customer service people.
      I am 100% sure that the mac address is spot on. I have checked it 5 or 6 times.
      When i said using 192.168.0.1 i meant that i have access my routers options and changed everything people have suggested before hand. My laptop has the ip address 192.168.0.3 where as my computer (wired) has 192.168.0.2) as this is what sky customer service told me to do.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Declaration View Post
      Have you tried configuring your wireless connection through intel wireless 2200bg and not windows.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection support

I am unfamiliar with your set up but this might help.

Best of luck
      Tried using the intel pro set but when i do i get no signal from my router at all. In the windows program i get excellent but the pro set tells me that sky is out of range which i dont understand.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
      i would also say disable yuor firewall if yo have one and make sure the windows effort is also switched off ( it has a habit of turning on randomly).
      No firewall, but what is the windows effort??? And where can i find it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      If you really have tried all the usual remedies -- turning off UPnP, changing channel, checking range by putting computer and router in same room -- I think I would also look at downloading TCPOptimizer (freeware from usual sites) and posting your router stats here (see tutorials for how).
      Sorry to be a pain but can you link me the tutorial that im looking for and what exactly will you need to see infor wise from my sky router??

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Last edited by fihart; 06-10-07 at 10:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast