Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Interference With My Wireless Connection!

This is a discussion on Interference With My Wireless Connection! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am having trouble with my connection with my wireless broadband. Every so often my connection goes really slow or ...

fandango is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Interference With My Wireless Connection!

I am having trouble with my connection with my wireless broadband. Every so often my connection goes really slow or stop alltogether or cuts off. When this happens i have checked for networks available and it shows mine and another one - BTHomeHub. This BTHomeHub seems to be the problem that is causing this. I currently have my channel set to 11 g & b, the BThomehub shows as channel 6, i have tried changing my channel in the past, but i eventually get the same problem. We do have a phone downstairs which is a cordless with 2 stations, 1 downsatirs the other up and another problem is loss of connection speed(snails pace) when somebody is on the house phone. Can anyone suggest a fix or recommend any settings i need to change. Im fine with computers but when it comes to IP adresses and wireless settings im still learning, So any help would be welcome In simple form
      cheers peeps
      Last edited by fandango; 29-09-07 at 12:38 PM.

2. Advertisement
      mdstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Interference With My Wireless Connection!

Is your wireless adapter on your PC 11g or b? Try forcing the router to use one or the other according to what you have.

If the BT router was causing your connection to drop then I would assume that it was on the same channel, if so change it.

I've aslo had numerous problems with DHCP on wireless networks so try setting up with manual IPs. This should be easy to do on the router.

Assuming you can get into your router configuration pages by typing something like 192.168.1.1 or similar into your web broswer, look for IP settings.

router IP for example - 192.168.1.1
      IP range - 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.4 (would give you 4 manual IPs for 4 devices)

Then on your PC set the wireless card to:

IP - 192.168.1.2
      subnet - 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (your router)

Primary DNS - 192.168.1.1

If you can't get into your configuration page, set your wireless card back to DHCP, wait a few minutes then go to Start --> Run and type CMD

Then type ipconfig to get your acquired IP details. Look for where it says default gateway as this IP address is your router. Type that into your web broswer and check the manual for the default router username and password.

sorry for any confusion but this is something I do on a daily basis so comes naturally.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Interference With My Wireless Connection!

Likely the adapter is 11g or better -- but there's a problem with some 11b adapters connecting to Netgear routers and Sky have inconveniently left out the 11b only setting in their firmware which could have solved it.