Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recommend a Wireless Adapter?

This is a discussion on Recommend a Wireless Adapter? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; In trying to get my D-Link adapter to hold a signal I had it on the floor. Turns out they're ...

JamesLB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Recommend a Wireless Adapter?

In trying to get my D-Link adapter to hold a signal I had it on the floor. Turns out they're pretty flimsy things and snap quite comprehensively if you stand on them.

Apparently this is the one that Sky themselves sell:

Amazon.co.uk: Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter: Electronics & Photo - it has had some terrible reviews so I'm thinking of steering clear.

This seems alright:

Amazon.co.uk: Sweex Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Adapter 54 Mbps: Electronics & Photo

As does: ZyXEL ZyAIR G-202 - Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB - 802.11b, 802.11g - Mac compatible

I think i'm veering towards the ebuyer one at the moment - anyone have any opinions? For what it's worth, I'll be using it with Sky Broadband, but also with another provider, so I'll need it to work well with other routers than Sky's.

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Recommend a Wireless Adapter?

There are worse USB adapters than the Netgear -- far more sensitive than another brand I tried. Netgear has the real advantage of being a widely used model, there's a decent website and the assurance of continuing driver support and (if you buy from Sky) the less tangible advantage of Sky's support.

ZyXel is a serious brand.

But I would avoid USB -- PCMCIA (aka PC Card, Cardbus) seems better for laptops and PCI is definitely better for desktops.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers. To be honest, I continued researching after making this thread - and PCI seems to be the way to go - it'll be going in a desktop afterall.

Any advice on which one? In all honesty, I dont mind spending an extra 20-30 if it means that the device will work. Price doesn't seem to equal quality though. Similarly, the 100mbps+ cards seem to get mixed reviews as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks again.

smart1gordon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fareham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have two Netgear WG111 USB cards and have used them on a variety of PC's this past two years without a single problem.

Because of my lack of problems, several of my friends have this wireless adapter too. Like me, they haven't had a problem.

It is probably at the top of the seller list in the UK so there are bound to be a small percentage of people who have had a problem with theirs but, as I have said, I have not had a single problem. I always use the latest driver from the Netgear site when installing it too.

I have previously had a Belkin and D-Link equivalent that were problematic i.e. worked erratically.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLB View Post
      Cheers. To be honest, I continued researching after making this thread - and PCI seems to be the way to go - it'll be going in a desktop afterall.

Any advice on which one? In all honesty, I dont mind spending an extra 20-30 if it means that the device will work. Price doesn't seem to equal quality though. Similarly, the 100mbps+ cards seem to get mixed reviews as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks again.
      My own experience with a minor brand 11b PCI adapter and a Netgear WG311 11g model was that they were both good at the margins of reliable wireless reception -- way better than USB.

You can probably safely choose on price, though if poss go a major brand (D-Link. Linksys, Netgear) for long term support.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for everyone's advice.

Went for a D-Link DWL-G510 internal PCI card in the end.

Got 5*s on ebuyer and good comments elsewhere, so hopefully it'll be alright.

Will post on these forums how it works with the Sky router - before the signal was unusable.