Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Router Probs

This is a discussion on Wireless Router Probs within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey everyone. Im new here and to sky and so far have no complaints, but have one question. I have ...

Leonartis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rawmarsh
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Router Probs

Hey everyone.

Im new here and to sky and so far have no complaints, but have one question. I have read all the posts on here and they all seem to be very confusing to me.

I have a Netgear Dg834N Adsl2 Modem Router and a Netgear WN311B Wireless PCI Adapter which i used previously on Orange broadband. I havnt tried to set these up with Sky broadband yet due to redecorating but from what i have read on here is it true that i cannot use the router???
      Is this true?? have i spent 120 for no reason? and if so will sky refund the 120 quid?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Router Probs

Quote Originally Posted by Leonartis View Post
      will sky refund the 120 quid?
      Why would they do that? They didn't ask you to buy it!

As it happens you can technically use other routers than the one Sky provides but it is explicitly against their T&Cs.

Leonartis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rawmarsh
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah i was only joking about the refund, of course they wont refund me.

But it does beg a question, if Sky are saying that it is against their T&C's and they will not provide the information needed to use any 3rd party router isnt that stopping competition between the companies that make the routers? I mean obviously the Sky router is a Netgear but what if someone had a problem with Netgear and refused to use their routers.
      I know im not explaining this very well but what if Intel made their next CPU's only work with Asus mobo's. They will work with any other mobo but first you have to hack the chip and get some kind of code to put into the other mobo's. Its exactly the sort of thing that Sky is doing here.

Honestly it doesnt bother me that much, I dont mean to make a big thing about it, it just annoys me that i pay the cash for draft n wireless stuff and then get told that im not allowed to use it.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You make an interesting point, which reminds me of the Antitrust action agianst IBM in the 1970s. IBM were accused of deliberately engineering their mainframe computers to frustrate users trying to add components from 3rd party suppliers.

I think they were forced to mend their ways in the mainframe market -- but having failed to copyright hardware in their PCs, tried a similar tactic when they completely re-engineered the IBM PC (into the PS/2 series) by changing some external sockets and most internal sockets.

Fortunately, by then, IBM had lost their leading position and users simply abandoned IBM products for those from Compaq etc who stayed with the original IBM-compatible connectors. Ultimately, IBM gave up the hardware business.
      Last edited by fihart; 12-09-07 at 10:57 AM.