Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Turning Wireless facility off

This is a discussion on Turning Wireless facility off within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Someone at work suggested that one reason I have an intermittent connection to bband, could be if someone else is ...

AliB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Turning Wireless facility off

Someone at work suggested that one reason I have an intermittent connection to bband, could be if someone else is using my connection through wireless, eventhough I am connecting through my ethernet cable.

If this is the case, am I able to turn off the wireless connection and still be able to connect via the ethernet cable? If so, how do I do this and is it worth it?

One of the reasons I didn't want to go wireless was horror stories about the security.

Thanks for any help

Alison

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Turning Wireless facility off

If you dont use wireless like me then by all means turn it off.
      1 open browser and type in router address in browser address bar 192.168.0.1
      2 at login prompt enter admin and password sky

this will take you to your router settings page
      in the menu on the left select wireless and on the next page there is a button to disable wireless

cheers

dave

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Iselect wireless and on the next page there is a button to disable wireless
      In case it's not obvious what dholdi means, you need to UNtick Enable Wireless Access Point and click apply.

However, intermittent connection problems aren't that likely to be due to someone else accessing your wireless connection. There are several other much more likely reasons. Can you describe the symptoms e.g. when, how often, any error messages etc and then I can suggest a more likely cause and the appropriate remedy?

Thanks

Yes good shout sat, I was at work when i posted and the boss was lurking so just addressed the immediate question of turning off the wireless
      cheers
      dave

AliB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Usually when I turned my computer on, it wouldn't recognise that I had Local and Internet access connection, just a Local one, which meant that I couldn't connect to the Internet, despite all the relevant lights being on, on the router. The only way I could get a connection, was to either re-set the router, or pull out the cables and plug them back in again.

I do think that this is something to do with having to use both an extension box on the wall, as the computer is in another room from the master socket, and an extension cable, as where some bright spark put the extension box, is too far away from the computer! Plus, I cannot put the microfilter directly into the extension socket, as if I do, I cannot then plug the extension cable in, as the end connections don't fit!!

Anyway, my problem was upped to Tier 3, and when I wrote this post, I didn't realise that they were actually dealing with it, as no-one contacted me from last Thursday. However, it seems that they have been monitoring the line and have made some adjustments, and 'touch wood' since the 9th Sept, I have had a connection.

I have unchecked the "Enable Wireless Access Point" and "Allow Broadcast of Name SSID". Now when my computer is off, the "1" on the router box turns orange instead of staying green - is this correct?

But just in case, any suggestions or help you have would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Ali
      Last edited by AliB; 13-09-07 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks

As saturday intimated your disconnections are more likely down to internal wiring. Confirmation that you are using an extension makes this quite likely as extensions and adsl dont mix well. Use the following utility to get your router stats preferably after 24 hrs use of the router. Ideally the test needs to be done from the test socket but 2 sets , 1 from the test and 1 from your existing setup would show the differences.
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4
      I think that your best solution would be to wire a dedicated extension adjacent to your pc using cat5e cable and use this exclusively for your router.
      But first thing to do is post them stats.
      cheers
      dave

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

the "1" on the router box turns orange instead of staying green - is this correct?
      I don't know if you have sorted this, but it actually means your network card is communicating with the router at 10mbps. instead of the 100mbps it should be. This could be caused by the network card loosing it's drivers, having some fault or possibly a faulty cable. You could try plugging into another port, just in case the port itself is faulty.

If you have a high speed connection this will have a big effect on how fast you can download. Also if you have a home network it will slow this down considerably when you are communicating with other PCs. If you have a lower speed connection, ie, less than 8 mbps and you don't have a home network, you will notice little difference. However as most modern network cards are capable of 100mbs, 1000 in some models, it would be worth looking into. If you need help in this, post back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.