Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Issues have me stumped.

This is a discussion on Wireless Issues have me stumped. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I hope someone here can help as I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong. ...

darrenmdr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Peters
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Wireless Issues have me stumped.

I hope someone here can help as I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong.

Up until a few days ago my wireless connection to my original Sky router (dg834gt) was working fine. I was getting synch speeds of aroung 14-15 and download speeds of around 12mb or so when running speed tests.

Over the past few days though I can not get a faster speed than 3mb even though after a number of resets I am still synching at 14-15.

I have upgraded the firmware and that has made no difference and I have moved the router around and about and even had the router and laptop next to each other and no matter what happens I still can only get up to 3mb at maximum.

If I attach a cable then woohoo 12 ish mb download again. Unfortunately though a baby and a wife and cables don't mix well.

I've used NetStumbler and discovered that BT have been busy around here as there seem to be about 5 new wireless connections that I am picking up that weren't there before. They are also using channels all over the shop and I have tried all channels to no avail still only getting 3mb max.

Now I thought ok maybe a new aerial will boost my signal and I can get my speed back up, so for some reason I unscrewed the aerial from the router to see what would happen. 3mb even with the aerial disconnected from the router. So does this mean I hve been faffing around pointlessly? Is the aerial simply broken and I need to replace it? or would a replacement router be in order?

I can't make any sense out of it because if the aerial was damaged or then why is my wireless signal between the laptop and router always at full strength.?

Could it be line noise? I've thought it could be, so I plugged into the master socket to reduce it?

Like I said I am completely flumoxed on this one and would appreciate any help or advice.

Stats if required.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 14511 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.0 13.5
      Attn(dB): 32.0 18.7
      Pwr(dBm): 13.5 12.6
      Max(Kbps): 17104 864
      Rate (Kbps): 14511 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 116 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.5248 7.7037
      L: 3887 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 881364 829845
      SFErr: 60 1
      RS: 107526528 3026760
      RSCorr: 22262 0
      RSUnCorr: 1814 0

HEC: 56 0
      OCD: 4 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 482854246 29330540
      Data Cells: 20173066 21620162
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 38 1
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 36 184
      AS: 14108

INP: 1.05 2.37
      PER: 16.00 17.81
      delay: 8.39 15.40
      OR: 60.97 33.23

Bitswap: 1171 341

Total time = 3 hours 56 min 9 sec
      SF = 881364
      CRC = 60
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 38
      Latest 1 day time = 3 hours 56 min 9 sec
      SF = 881364
      CRC = 60
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 38
      Latest 15 minutes time = 11 min 9 sec
      SF = 41793
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 56268
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 56206
      CRC = 10
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 7
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 56268
      CRC = 5
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 3
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 56205
      CRC = 11
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 5
      Showtime Drop Reason: 0
      Last Retrain Reason: 0

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Issues have me stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenmdr View Post
      Could it be line noise? I've thought it could be, so I plugged into the master socket to reduce it?
      Not likely. Line noise severe enough to reduce your throughput that much would also reduce your sync. In any case if wired is OK then it can't be line noise.

Wireless noise is a strong possibility though. You say you have a baby - are you using a wireless baby monitor? Other things to consider include Dect phones, video senders or even large electrical items such as TVs/radios etc.

Thanks

I thought that it could be wireless noise, but the speed is the same whether the baby monitor is in or out.

We have had a new T.V recently our CRT went pop and the insurance paid for a new LCD telly (woohoo).

Unfortunately the only place for the router is next to the phone and telly and stuff, but that is where it has always been and interference has never been that much of an issue before. I have unplugged everything though and it has made no difference at all.

I am assuming that the telly and phone needs to be plugged in to be a source of interference or is that wrong?

Is the fact that I get the same speed with or without an aerial attached to the router significant at all?

Thanks for your reply too.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Yes, if the devices are powered off and unplugged then they can't interfere. Just powering off may not be enough if the power block is still powered.

I couldn't say about the aerial though you'd expect things to be worse without it.

Unplug and power off everything next to the router then move it as far away from anything else electrical such as power cables/sockets. See if that helps. Also, remember that the PC also needs to be away from noise too.

If all else fails, consider uninstalling/reinstalling/updating the drivers for your wireless card or whatever in the PC.

Thanks

Thanks for your help so far. I have tried your suggestions, but it has had no affect. I have just given tcp optimizer a bash on my desktop, which is upstairs from the router and then downloaded a file at 1.1 meg a seciond and all seems well. My sped test results have shot back up. Yet nothing else has changed, in terms of where things have been placed and teh laptop is still very slow in comparison. I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens.