Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hello can anybody help?

This is a discussion on Hello can anybody help? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I need to get some new wireless adaptors to convert my two computers so I can use the wireless connection ...

Dancingcrazyfish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello can anybody help?

I need to get some new wireless adaptors to convert my two computers so I can use the wireless connection and router that I now have with Sky. I don't have a clue where to start looking to try to find suitable ones. I have been using both the pc's with modem etc from Virgin without problems. But then, of course, changing to Sky has made them not work at all now!

Anyway, I have the following pc's:

Desktop - Pacakrd Bell Imedia 4606 (rather old now!)

Laptop - Dell Inspiron 6400 (that is nto a year old yet).

Can anybody out there help me or put me in the right direction??

Thanks very much.

2. Advertisement
      allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Hello can anybody help?

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingcrazyfish View Post
      I need to get some new wireless adaptors to convert my two computers so I can use the wireless connection and router that I now have with Sky. I don't have a clue where to start looking to try to find suitable ones. I have been using both the pc's with modem etc from Virgin without problems. But then, of course, changing to Sky has made them not work at all now!

Anyway, I have the following pc's:

Desktop - Pacakrd Bell Imedia 4606 (rather old now!)

Laptop - Dell Inspiron 6400 (that is nto a year old yet).

Can anybody out there help me or put me in the right direction??

Thanks very much.

In my experience the Sky router works with the default wireless devices installed in (Sony and Toshiba) laptops although I've not tried with Dell. My guess would be that your Dell should connect without buying anything new.

If you're wanting to connect your desktop wirelessly (and also if you end up needing to buy a new wireless adaptor for the laptop) my suggestion would be that you get them from Sky. This isn't because they are (necessarily) any better but rather because Sky will support you better when installing them should you have problems. If you can't bear the wait then the Sky router certainly works ok with Netgear adaptors (and others no doubt but I haven't tried those myself)

Its probably worth being aware that many users are disappointed with the wireless range of the Sky router.

Good luck

petermk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: burslam
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: sky +hd
      Thanks

you should only need a card for main pc as well ,your laptop should have wireless card in it
      Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6850,Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38 Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W Modular Power SupplyPSU,
      GeIL 4GB (4x1GB) PC8500C5 1066MHz Black Dragon DDR2 Dual Channel Kit, 750GB X 2 SATA2 RAID 0 HDDs, DVD-Writer, BFG GeForce 295 GTX HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express, XFI 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN,
      Connected @ 15.7mbit on SkyMAX
      O.S WINDOWS 7 32.BIT

Dancingcrazyfish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
      In my experience the Sky router works with the default wireless devices installed in (Sony and Toshiba) laptops although I've not tried with Dell. My guess would be that your Dell should connect without buying anything new.

If you're wanting to connect your desktop wirelessly (and also if you end up needing to buy a new wireless adaptor for the laptop) my suggestion would be that you get them from Sky. This isn't because they are (necessarily) any better but rather because Sky will support you better when installing them should you have problems. If you can't bear the wait then the Sky router certainly works ok with Netgear adaptors (and others no doubt but I haven't tried those myself)

Its probably worth being aware that many users are disappointed with the wireless range of the Sky router.

Good luck
      Thanks for the advice - will give it a go!

Many thanks