Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Wireless speeds

This is a discussion on Slow Wireless speeds within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, im gettin slow speeds when downloading, surfing the internet is fine, quite fast at times, but when i want ...

Mike_123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morriston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Wireless speeds

Hello, im gettin slow speeds when downloading, surfing the internet is fine, quite fast at times, but when i want to download things (off newsgroups etc) my download speed is rubbish, somthing like 70kb.While my brothers computer in another room has reached speeds up to 1800kb on the same file. Its the same with the speed tests, on my pc i got about 500kb download, whereas the other pc got 7000kb+, Also i should point out we have the same PCI cards (netgear 108) and he is closer to the router than me, but that shouldnt explain such a huge gap in the download rate should it? on my netgear utility it sais my speed is 5.5mbps
      this is what i get as of now on a speed test:

Any help appreciated

Thanks
      Last edited by Mike_123; 29-08-07 at 03:52 PM.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Wireless speeds

Sounds like reception or interference issues. Scan for neighbouring wifi and move to a channel (ideally) 6 stops away from strongest. Change your PCI aerial's angle while watching the signal meter in the Netgear wizard. Try raising the router above furniture level. Check your speed with the computer in the same room as the router.

Mike_123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morriston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Wireless speeds

I know my neighbours got a belkin MIMO router because it comes up when it searches for networks, il try changing channel , as its on 1 at the moment, and il try the other things