Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless drops out during large downloads

This is a discussion on wireless drops out during large downloads within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Hoping you can help. I've just hooked up my sky router and was getting good download speeds (6M out ...

pezzer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wireless drops out during large downloads

Hi,

Hoping you can help. I've just hooked up my sky router and was getting good download speeds (6M out of broadband mid) via ethernet, but very poor performance on wireless.

I've used tcp optimiser and that has now increased wireless throughput to similar to that on ethernet.

However, the wireless link now keeps dropping out when doing a large download. Its fine when the download speeds are kept low.

I've reduced the tcp window now to something much smaller (though not as small as the original setting) but the problem keeps happening, so I'm not sure its my laptop.

Any ideas? This is my second router, as first one didnt work, and I am using wireless with wpa.

Thanks a lot

Pezzer

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless drops out during large downloads

I guess you've tried turning off UPnP ?

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

any chance you are using a usb wireless dongle? I had all sorts of problems with them and finaly moved to a pci card.
      Ive also had problems with wireless channels as there are a number of wireless networks in my area.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The story so far....

Well, not using uPnP or a dongle. The card that keeps dropping out is an older one that only runs at 802.11b, rather than g. I've just upgraded the driver on it and its now working a bit more reliably, though still dropping every so often. The thing is, it worked fine for ages on my old wireless ap, which was 802.11b&g, and was a buffalo. Going to try and adjust the windowing again, and if that doesn't work, perhaps connect the buffalo up and do some tests with that. We'll see....

The quest continues

:-)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, so the latest update.

I spent many hours yesterday fiddling with the tcp optimiser, to no avail.

I also tried different forms of authentication, also with no luck

Now, given that I have my old Buffalo 54M access point, I thought, hey, lets do a compare.

So I plugged the access point into the sky router, set it up with identical authentication etc, and the only difference was the ssid names (obviously!) and that sky was using channel 09 and buffalo channel 02, neither of which are detected nearby from other people.

And guess what? When connected to sky, I keep losing my link. When connected to buffalo, the link is solid.

Is this a problem with the sky router? I have used netgear before and never had this kind of trouble.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Perry