Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless speeds all over the place!

This is a discussion on Wireless speeds all over the place! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, Have had sky max for about a month now and had all sorts of problems keep disconnecting up ...

john306 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless speeds all over the place!

Hi all,
      Have had sky max for about a month now and had all sorts of problems keep disconnecting up to 20 x per day, I renewed my master socket and all external wiring and have now gone wireless (mainly due to PC being in the rear of house and master socket at the front) I got wireless up and running and have read all posts about this on here but what I'm getting now is network speeds anywhere between 1Mbps and 48Mbps from my belkin 56 desktop card, my connection to Sky is 8096kbps and on a broadband checker with wired gives me 6 to 7 mb download speeds, with wireless its anywhere between less than 1 and 6 mb, on the broadband checker its changing by large margins as it checks
      I've tried TCP optimiser, upnp off and a few other settings but still no constant good speeds, in all this time connection by the belkin signal strenth is very good/excellent.
      At least I'm up to 14 hours connected now
      Just gotta sort this random speed issues

Any help please
      Last edited by john306; 13-08-07 at 03:06 PM.

2. Advertisement
      john306 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless speeds all over the place!

Well after the deafining silence on here got some info elsewhere and realised my antenna on pci card was probably the culprit, I got an extender cable with antenna, positioned it on top of desk and all is now well, no dropouts and top speeds constantly
      Just couldnt realise why speeds were slow even though signal strength was showing either very good or excellent, oh well sorted now.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless speeds all over the place!

Wireless is a bit of black art -- the signal level indicator is usually a good indicator for connection reliability but, technically, it's only a very rough guide. Moving the aerial around can make a big difference.