Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting to my wireless router

This is a discussion on Connecting to my wireless router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, i have problems connecting my PC to my wireless router using a Belkin wireless adaptor. I originally thought that ...

kev
      kev is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting to my wireless router

Hi, i have problems connecting my PC to my wireless router using a Belkin wireless adaptor.

I originally thought that when i powered my PC up the wireless adaptor would automaticcaly connect to my router but to connect i have to repair the connection (sometimes several times).

No such problems with my Laptop so it's obviously something to do with the Belkin adaptor or my PC settings........any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      neilee1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connecting to my wireless router

I have just joined the sky broadband clan and I am having problems getting it to work wirlessly. so will watch this thread with interest.

Never thought of checking if my works lap top will connect so will try that to see where the problem lies.

The Connection works via Ethernet cable. Except for the fact that I cannot log in using the admin / sky user and password after typing in the usual 192.168.0.1 ..phhh

The usb plug in wirless adaptor for my PC shows good signal strength and see's the wireless router but will not connect :-( (it did on first set up but once turned off and on it all packed up and only works on ethernet now)

Any help would be appreciated

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilee1 View Post
      The Connection works via Ethernet cable. Except for the fact that I cannot log in using the admin / sky user and password after typing in the usual 192.168.0.1 ..phhh

The usb plug in wirless adaptor for my PC shows good signal strength and see's the wireless router but will not connect :-( (it did on first set up but once turned off and on it all packed up and only works on ethernet now)

You should not have any problem connecting to the router user interface using 192.168.0.1. address unless the address has been changed or password (normally.... sky) has been changed. I think I would press the reset button for 30 secs with the power on, just in case.

If you managed to connect by wireless before, did you save the settings profile ? If not you'll have to re-apply the WPA encryption passphrase before you'll connect by wireless.

neilee1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      You should not have any problem connecting to the router user interface using 192.168.0.1. address unless the address has been changed or password (normally.... sky) has been changed. I think I would press the reset button for 30 secs with the power on, just in case.

If you managed to connect by wireless before, did you save the settings profile ? If not you'll have to re-apply the WPA encryption passphrase before you'll connect by wireless.
      Many thanks for your reply. I didn't change any passwords and could not get into the router. The User name and password box comes up after putting in 192.168.0.1. but it will not accept admin and sky .. tried all Upper lower case options :-(

How do you save the settings profile and where is it ?

Thanks for your help

Neil

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would try resetting the router (as described) -- the username and password are lower case. Maybe have another look at the help files on the Sky CD which describe how to access the router user interface.

You don't say which wireless adapter you are using but most work alike. After you have selected the wireless signal and input the encryption passphrase (printed on the Sky router) you should have the opportunity to save your settings, so that it will automatically select the signal and apply the passphrase next time.

kev
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fihart, the encryption passphrase does appear automatically but it won't connect 1st time.

I assumed that when i powered on my PC the wireless adaptor would automatically pick up my router and connect without me having to tell it to do so, or am i wrong to asume this?

kev
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilee1 View Post
      I have just joined the sky broadband clan and I am having problems getting it to work wirlessly. so will watch this thread with interest.

Never thought of checking if my works lap top will connect so will try that to see where the problem lies.

Any help would be appreciated

If you right click on the wireless icon in your system tray it should give you the option to repair this connection, try this(it's usually what i have to do several times to get mine to connect).

Also ensure Windows Wireless zero configuration is enabled

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
      If you right click on the wireless icon in your system tray it should give you the option to repair this connection, try this(it's usually what i have to do several times to get mine to connect).

Also ensure Windows Wireless zero configuration is enabled
      This is true if you don't want to use the utilities supplied with the wireless adapter -- but the advice from suppliers like Netgear is to ensure that WZC is disabled. Personally I find WZC more confusing than most manufacturer's utilities.