Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless or not?

This is a discussion on Wireless or not? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; thanks Isitme. I honestly don't think I've ever achieved that speed-7000 kbps. My landline's new and cordless-1 main phone & ...

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless or not?

thanks Isitme. I honestly don't think I've ever achieved that speed-7000 kbps.

My landline's new and cordless-1 main phone & 2 extra-all one pack, so the upstairs line I use and have used, is the old telephone extention line, but with being cordless, the only thing plugged into the filter is the line to the router.

I wouldn't hesitate for one minute either going wireless or longer ethernet, but I know wireless will cut my speed, whereas ethernet won't, but have the problem of getting it onto the other side of the lounge door (mainlines in lounge) without having a thresh to fit cable under.

Can anyone please tell me if I got a wireless adaptor and put the router downstairs that my connection, even though less speed, would connect ok?

Can I also ask if this is ok-Netgear MIMO (108 Mbps) Wireless USB Adaptor or is this considered dear? or any other ideas-PCI even?
      Last edited by puretoon; 12-08-07 at 06:21 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think most will agree the wireless reception from the Netgear is a bit 'hit or miss'. Many find it is OK, but many find it hopeless. It depends a lot on the construction of your house and the position of the router and adapter. Some DECT phones are also known to cause problems. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell until you actually try it. If you live in an old house with very thick solid walls, reception will be very difficult, if it one of the huts they call a new house nowadays, you will probably be OK.

If you do decide to try wireless, I would recommend you fit an ADSL Nation faceplate and plug the router directly into it. You can then forget about your extensions and sockets degrading the connection. Remember, as you are at present you need filters on everything you have plugged into the phone sockets, this includes the Sky box, fax machines etc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Thanks once again Isitme.
      I've actually today taken my pc downstairs with the router and plugged the router into the main point. At first a but inconsistent, then WOW! lightening speeds, so it's got to be the ext.
      At the moment I'm back up stairs with everything till I get sorted-and it's looking very much like it's going to be ethernet cable so router will have to go downstairs for good.
      I knew myself that I had to try the main socket-it was just the flipping bother of unplugging everything, then after, plugging it all back again.

We popped into Maplin today asking them, they said either ADSL cable or grey UTP patch cable-i need at least 13+ mitres and the one they showed me was 15 so it should be ok.

To be honest it's now working great upstairs so will live with it for now.

again thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12