Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Just what is the problem ?

This is a discussion on Just what is the problem ? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I will try and keep this as brief as possible..... Been with Sky about 6 months and my set up ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV:

Just what is the problem ?

I will try and keep this as brief as possible.....

Been with Sky about 6 months and my set up is as follows - BT master socket > extension lead > filter > sky box, landline and sky netgear router for xbox 360. I then connect to router from a PC upstairs wirelessly (belkin wireless network card). When PC was in bedroom almost directly above router I was getting signal strength very good/excellent and speed:54mbps most of the time with a download speed of around 2meg (I am quite a way from my exchange).

Have had to move PC into another room towards back of house and now having problems getting decent speed/signal. Have elevated router by putting on shelf behind TV so about 4 feet higher than it was before, moving router around and fiddling with aerials, tried turning UPnP off, tried changing channels on router but signal strength and speed seem to be almost permanently stuck on poor/good and 11mbps. This means some pages just do not load up or take an age to load up. I am having to keep rebooting the router either by using a pen or by the log-in page, unplugging the extension lead from the master socket and plugging it back in to sometimes get the internet to load properly but not making much difference. Oh and whilst moving the PC into a different room, I managed to knock the dongle on the back of the PC against the wall so as it's gone floppy I have had to use blu-tac to point it upwards (as the monitor plug is directly above it I can only point it upwards at an angle left or right anyway).

Can anyone give me any advice on what I can do to try and get my performance back up to normal ?

P.S. I know people will say the set up is not the best for starters but this all worked fine with my previous ISP and before I moved the PC.

Not sure if this will help but my stats are as follows :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3712 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.7 db 16.0 db

2. Advertisement
      D24601 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton-In-Ashfield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:

Re: Just what is the problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by blonde View Post
      trust me i have been sitting at my computer all day
      I know that feling all to well You've had fun then,BTW you may want to move it away from the window next time,thats where my old pack bell went without even opening it<LMAO> after a most of day & night i had enough of the damn thing
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 21-08-07 at 09:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Just what is the problem ?

Wonder how many pc's/laptops have nearly gone out the window??>>>> ) I've been there myself many a time tearing my hair out, both shouting and praying to the bloody machine.......then the relief when it's sorted ))

Glad to hear you're sorted Blonde-hope you manage too Jamie ....