Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Help Please :(

This is a discussion on Wireless Help Please :( within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Afternoon Right im getting really confused and am ready to throw my laptop out the window! lol I have been ...

Pixie_bex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Help Please :(

Afternoon

Right im getting really confused and am ready to throw my laptop out the window! lol

I have been trying to set up the wireless. I have followed all the help from the sky website with no joy, At the begining there was a problem with the IP address, With the help from the sky site I fixed that and its saying connect yet I cant open any pages? Anything I type in my browser comes up with "page cannot be displayed" yet im connected

Can anyone shed some light on this for me???

Thanks
      Becca

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Help Please :(

Move away from the window, please.

You're going have to just get the WPA wireless encryption passphrase typed correctly in UPPER or lower case (depending on the format used for the passphrase printed on the the label on the router) into the appropriate field in the wireless adapter's user interface screen.

The alternative is to try turning off encryption temporarily in the router (see help files on Sky CD) until you can establish a reliable connection.

Only problem is you need to use the yellow cable that came with the router to connect your laptop. Your laptop may not have an ethernet network connector (check laptop manual) but a USB or Cardbus adapter shouldn't cost much more than 10 and may prove useful in future.

Pixie_bex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im really sorry to be such a pain but i didnt understand a word of that sorry.... right at the moment i have the yellow cable in the laptop and im able to get online yay!

But without it I cant (no yay!)

pwoolley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littlehampton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am assuming your laptop has built in wireless, if so you should a wireless icon bottom right panel (near clock) move the mouse over it and right click and choose status, if showing connected then it could be a firewall issue blocking the wireless sending traffic via the router.....

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Moved to Wireless forum.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_bex View Post
      at the moment i have the yellow cable in the laptop and im able to get online yay!

But without it I cant (no yay!)

If you can connect to the router by cable you can chat to the user interface via Internet Explorer (type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and when the login box appears the Usersname is admin and the Password is sky.

Once in go to Wireless and Security and disable security. Save and logout.

Have another go at connecting by wireless -- if successful you can then work out how to reapply encryption to both router and wireless adapter (which is a good idea).

If all this is too horrible to contemplate, stick with the yellow cable -- it'll give you a quicker, more reliable connection -- it just isn't as cool.