Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

iBook connects no problem - pc? - NOTHING

This is a discussion on iBook connects no problem - pc? - NOTHING within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all - first post here so please be gentle. I've read through numerous threads but can't quite find the ...

badBERTHA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

iBook connects no problem - pc? - NOTHING

Hi all - first post here so please be gentle. I've read through numerous threads but can't quite find the answers I'm looking for.

I've had Sky Broadband for just over a week and set up the router via my ibook with an ethernet cable - seemed simple and everything was working pretty much straight away. Now - I have 3 pcs upstairs 2 have wireless cards (belkin) and the other has a belkin usb doodah. I've tried connecting via the belkin software and it see's the wireless box but will not connect. It appears to be continuously scanning, so I thought I'd buy a netgear usb doodah in case it was incompatible in some way (50 pc world - if it worked I planned to take it back and get them from Sky for 20)

This is a pretty buggy little thing, installation software wouldn't work - had to use windows xp to install it which worked eventually. Now when I connect to the router using the WPA code - it connects and drops immediately and continually scans, USB doodah blue light blinks on and off.

I've disabled the windows firewall - nothing

I've tried changing the security setting within the router to WEP - this freezes the router and you have to reset the whole thing.

So now I am going round in circles and am pretty clueless.

Can anyone here talk me down before I crash?

Kindest thanks

Bertha

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: iBook connects no problem - pc? - NOTHING

Suggest you turn off UPnP in the router as this can cause connection probs.

While troubleshooting disable security (encryption) and Windows firewall.

You mention that the PCs are upstairs -- USB wireless is less than ideal
      and range is limited. In a desktop machine I would consider using a PCI card instead.

You might want to scan for neighbouring wifi networks and change to a freqency (ideally) 6 channels away from the strongest.

Sometimes changing frequency regardless can help.

Relocate cordless phone base station etc.

My laptop has USB so I tend to use it near a window on the same side of the building as the window by which the router is located.