Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router settings problems

This is a discussion on Router settings problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I work from home on a regular basis but cannot log on to my employers network due to new firewall ...

fridayphildo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router settings problems

I work from home on a regular basis but cannot log on to my employers network due to new firewall settings. I am advised by our IT guys that my Netscape router is too old for the firewall settings and they will need to supply me with a new router (set to my existing Sky settings) to enable both my present wireless access and access to the network.
      Sky have declined to disclose router settings and have suggested my employers disable the firewall!
      Does anybody have the settings that i can advise my IT dept of and /or is there another router that is compatible with Sky Wireless?

My router is the sky standard netscape issue.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Router settings problems

Netscape is the name of an old internet browser, the basis for Firefox.

Your Sky router is a Netgear DG834GT, which is a current model, all be it with Sky's firmware.

You can use another router (breaks Sky's T&Cs though), all you need to do is extract the username and password. You can use Mognuts utility to do this.

If your IT dept want to know what your router settings are log into it with http://192.168.0.1/start.htm user admin, password sky, and look at the firewall rules.

Strikes me they are in "Have you tried switching it off and on again" mode.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router settings problems

There's nothing particularly old about the Sky router. I suspect you may be getting a little confused about what they've told you or need you to do.

Quite probably access to your employers network needs to be via VPN. Any other security measures/authentication they use will have no relevance to the router that I can think of.

The Sky router is quite capable of supporting VPN but has to be correctly set up in accordance with the VPN server end (this may be as simple as opening port 1723 in the router).

If you can find out exactly what your employer's IT dept think the problem is then someone on this forum will probably be able to help you sort it.