Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fastest wireless adapter

This is a discussion on Fastest wireless adapter within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys What is the best and fastest USB (has to be USB see below) wireless adapter to achieve the ...

garrymum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fastest wireless adapter

Hi guys

What is the best and fastest USB (has to be USB see below) wireless adapter to achieve the best connection with Sky's Netgear router?

Reason I ask is I am building a Home Media centre PC which will live in my living room which I want to network to our family PC so I can transfer video files etc via a shared drive/area.

The wireless adapter needs to be USB as I have not got a free PCI port on the Media centre PC, as the one and only PCI is taken up by the twin tuner digital tv tuner.

Ideally I would like to keep the HD files on the family PC and stream the video wirelessly to the media centre pc, hence the need for a fast reliable adapter.

What is the best adapter to make full use of the 108mbps of the DG834GT router.

TIA

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Fastest wireless adapter

USB is never going to be great -- some have shockingly poor range, some overheat and most seem to use the processor a lot

If you must, though, I'd stick with Netgear -- if you get the Netgear WG111 that Sky sell, they'll "support" it (whether that's worth the extra fiver compared to retailers is up to you).

You might also look at the RangeMax version of the Netgear USB unit.

mrcross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: skelmersdale
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Fastest wireless adapter

I use the wg111 and it s very reliable and not bad price is u reserve from pc world then collect. Worked better when changed router settings to auto 108 lol.

Must admit tho wireless signal is lower than desktop card about 85% compared to 95 % with internal card.