Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't connect with new Belkin adaptor

This is a discussion on Can't connect with new Belkin adaptor within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I broke my Belkin 54mb G adaptor (literally, I dropped it on the floor and the circuit board fell out, ...

isa484 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't connect with new Belkin adaptor

I broke my Belkin 54mb G adaptor (literally, I dropped it on the floor and the circuit board fell out, now it doesn't work) so I bought another one. I thought it was exactly the same but it has different driver files (well, a different file name) so I guess it's a newer version.

Anyway, the problem is that my old adaptor worked fine for the whole time I used it, but I can't get the new one to connect at all. It can see the network, but when I click connect (using the windows config utility, the belkin one is HORRIBLE and has never worked, though I did try it out of desperation) it just hangs on "Waiting for the network". Similar if I try Repair - I get "Unable to complete the following action: connect to wireless network".

I have tried disabling all the security options but I still get exactly the same problem. Have tried changing channels... but I think that's more to correct signal problems, and I know there is no signal problem because it worked before. I notice that it can't see the network any more after a failed attempt to connect, if that's important.

I've tried it in exactly the same configuration as my old adaptor (static IP) and standard (DHCP), which also worked with the old one. I don't have an access list set up.

I'm completely out of ideas on this..... please please help!!! I'm tempted to point the finger at the adaptor and say it is faulty, but surely then it would just fail to detect the network at all?

2. Advertisement
      laertes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can't connect with new Belkin adaptor

There are at least four varieties of Belkin adapter. If you can access their web site, there is some information about their compatibility with, for example, Vista, which gave me a lot of headaches but was finally sorted out when my pc supplier sent a compatible adapter as a replacement for a dud originally supplied.

There are reference numbers on the back of the adapter - you should be able to check compatibility with Belkin or your pc supplier.