Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Help needed ASAP

This is a discussion on Wireless Help needed ASAP within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all Be patient please as i am not the best with computers Need to get up and running ASAP ...

Latics11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Help needed ASAP

Hello all

Be patient please as i am not the best with computers

Need to get up and running ASAP for work. My sky has been activated, ive not bought a adaptor yet which one is best?(not got time to wait for the sky one).

Do i have to set it on the pc first? and is this easy for a numpty like me?

Do i have to configure it?

My phone line downstairs and the pc is upstairs do i have to connect with the cable first?(it won't reach)

When i put the installation cd it just mentions connecting via the cable do just bypass this step?

Tried to set it up last night then realised 'this yellow cable is not long enough'...doh

Witout trying to be to be tocheeky i'm after a thicko's guide to get this up running ASAP

Tried the 'help' line no joy there.

I told i wasn't the best.

Any help would be much appriecated.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Help needed ASAP

A longer cable will get you up and running with the least techno-fuss -- though I'm not sure how you'll feel about a long cable trailing around the house.

For wireless, a USB device is the easiest to install on a desktop computer -- but pretty poor. I'd rather use a PCI card such as the Netgear WG311.

For a laptop Cardbus (aka PCMCIA) is the best bet.

Follow the adapter manufacturer's installation routine to the letter. Once the adapter is installed, you need to apply the Sky WPA encryption passphrase (printed on the router label) to the adapter's utility software.

Latics11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that.

In regards to the Sky WPA encryption passphrase, do i have to put the netgear one in first then change it or just put the sky one in? Will it take me through on the wizard when installing?

Will the pc then automatically pick up the router signal once the wpa code is in?

Do i have to install it with the ethernet cable first then go wireless?

Cheers

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Most of what you need to know is in the Help files on the Sky CD and in the tutorials on this site.

If you haven't altered the router's settings, I'd use the WPA passphrase supplied by Sky (the one written on the router). If the wireless adapter you install is 100% compatible (almost all current models are but I'd stick with Netgear for simplicity's sake) you should just be able to apply the passphrase to adapter's utility software and (if you are in range and interference free) get connected.

The adapter should detect the router's wireless ID prior to getting to the encryption stage -- the default ID format is (for example) SKY12345678.

You shouldn't need to access the router's user interface unless you have to alter settings -- the Sky/Netgear user name is admin and the password is sky. The best way to access the user interface is by ethernet cable, it is possible by wireless but possibly confusing.