Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with Netgear & wireless laptop setup

This is a discussion on Help with Netgear & wireless laptop setup within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi my mum ordered broadband from sky and oince all the netgear and activation date was done she went and ...

Mon67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: nETGEAR
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help with Netgear & wireless laptop setup

Hi my mum ordered broadband from sky and oince all the netgear and activation date was done she went and bought a second hand lap top. The laptop is not wireless but we were told if we bought the usb wireless it would connect just as good so we did.

Anyway I have spent most of today trying to get online the problem is I just keep getting can not display page. I have spoke to Sky who had me doing the test where you put numbers in the address bar. This still did not work, they checked I was getting internet, the usb was installed and working and the lights were on the netgear router.

I took my wireless laptop down, it found the wireless connection I put in key code but it gave same message re page not being displayed, I ran the internet diagnotics and it said I was connected to the internet.

So basically I am well and truelly baffled can anyone suggest anything please?

Thanks Mon

2. Advertisement
      pwoolley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help with Netgear & wireless laptop setup

have you tried disabling any firewall (for test purposes), as it sounds like that could be the issue if your laptop is showing connected to the router?

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Are you able to connect successfully either laptop via the ethernet cable?
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When I installed Netgear Macfee came with the disc and was installed with Netgear since then I uninstalled and I can not detect any other anti-virus.

The problem is with the ethernet is that the laptop my mum just bought does not have the port at the back for this wire to go into.

Thanks for taking the time to post back

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to say my mum has phoned to let me know she is online, she just left pc running and it found its way there, thanks for helping anyway. Sure I will be back soon asking for more information

Mon

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mon67 View Post
      When I installed Netgear Macfee came with the disc and was installed with Netgear since then I uninstalled and I can not detect any other anti-virus.
      Have you left the laptop without any functioning anti-virus software? If so I recommend that you address that ASAP. When I first installed Sky broadband, I uninstalled my anti-virus, intending to put it back and update it as soon as I was connected. I delayed this for a few hours, and paid the penalty. My laptop got so badly infected that I had to re-install windows and all the other software.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)