Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I keep losing my connection !!!

This is a discussion on I keep losing my connection !!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, Can anyone out there give me help or any advice. I have had Sky Broadband installed now for ...

Dav1e is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I keep losing my connection !!!

Hi all,
      Can anyone out there give me help or any advice. I have had Sky Broadband installed now for about 3 months and in this time, am finding it very difficult to establish a solid connection via wireless. I was first using a Belkin Wirless G USB Network Adapter, and after talking to a local shop decided to purchase a Netgear Range as this would give me a stronger signal. After spending the weekend trying to get this thing to work the results are still the same if not worse. My router is a Netgear DG834 GT.
      My connection lasts from 1 or 2 minutes up 5 or 6 hours before it disconnects. Sometimes it reconnects automatically others it wont find any networks. This then needs a full system reboot. At the time of writing this mail im connected to a neighbours Linksys network which appears to be fine. This leads me to believe that the problem could be with the router ? We also have a laptop in the house which connects to Sky with no problems at all.
      Can anyone give me any help or advice please. Ive tried to contact sky but they're as much use as a chocolate teapot !!
      Thanks David..

2. Advertisement
      Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I keep losing my connection !!!

Can you clarify the following:-

Regarding the laptop which you are able to use without any problems- is this connected to your Sky Netgear router via wireless or ethernet?
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's worth turning off UPnP in the router (see Sky CD Help files for how to access the user interface).

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.
      The laptop connects via wireless without problems and I have turned of the UPnP. Also changed channel and made sure its to European setting. David

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You don't mention whether the problem computer is a desktop. If so, many PCI adapters are far better than USB. If laptop, cardbus is sometimes better than USB.

The Rangemax model probably works best with the Rangemax router, so no surprise that it's not much better than the Belkin.

Wireless is highly variable, regardless of hardware. It's subject to range, obstruction and interference issues.

You mention a neighbouring wireless network -- make sure your system is on a frequency 6 channels away from the strongest neighbour.

Try raising the router to clear furniture and people.

Try putting it and the computer with the wireless problem near windows on the same side of the building.

Relocate cordless phone base station, video sender etc.
      Last edited by fihart; 02-07-07 at 11:18 AM. Reason: clarify

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After 4 hrs on the telephone today a very nice man called Graham working for Sky in Scotland has discovered that my broadband speed varies from 2 mpbs up to 22 mpbs. He's thinking that this is the cause of my problems. Sky are looking into it. I should have an answer in about 5 days, so fingers crossed.. David.