Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

would netgear rangemax connect better to sky router than WG111V2?

This is a discussion on would netgear rangemax connect better to sky router than WG111V2? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; my existing adaptors, both Netgear wg111v2's dont connect when more than 4 feet away! is it worth me buying the ...

russwill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

would netgear rangemax connect better to sky router than WG111V2?

my existing adaptors, both Netgear wg111v2's dont connect when more than 4 feet away!
      is it worth me buying the dearer Rangemax 108mps adaptors at 49.99 from argos, or would the ones from sky (20)be just as improved over my 2yr old ones which worked bloody well fine before i swapped my netgear adaptor for the "identical model" sky version!l
      any ideas most welcome, russ.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: would netgear rangemax connect better to sky router than WG111V2?

Geez, the WG111 isn't very good but it's better than that. I doubt if a RangeMax adapter will do much better, particularly as I think they're supposed to work with a RangeMax router using MIMO. Anyway, USB wireless isn't going to be as good as cardbus or PCI.

Maybe your old router was on a different channel, so I think I would scan for intereference from neighbouring networks and change frequencies to 6 stops away from the strongest. Relocate cordless phone base station etc. Try raising the router to ceiling level -- to avoid furniture, people etc.

As a last resort it is feasible to use a different router (like maybe your old one) see tutorials.

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russwill View Post
      my existing adaptors, both Netgear wg111v2's dont connect when more than 4 feet away!
      is it worth me buying the dearer Rangemax 108mps adaptors at 49.99 from argos, or would the ones from sky (20)be just as improved over my 2yr old ones which worked bloody well fine before i swapped my netgear adaptor for the "identical model" sky version!l
      any ideas most welcome, russ.
      I "invested" in a Rangemax adaptor to use with my (then) new Sky Netgear router. This "worked" but the range was unsatisfactory and not as good as is achieved with a built-in connectivity of my laptop. With Rangemax I can connect in the next room - with laptop I can connect two floors away!

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I hate to be very negative about wireless, but see if it is possible to avoid wireless altogether!!