Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot make wireless connection to Sky (Netgear) router

This is a discussion on Cannot make wireless connection to Sky (Netgear) router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Having read just about every post, thread and tutorial and following all individually and to the word during the last ...

TonyBarber is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cannot make wireless connection to Sky (Netgear) router

Having read just about every post, thread and tutorial and following all individually and to the word during the last 48 hours I think I have exhausted every possibility other than buying new wireless adaptors for my 4 PC's (me + 3 children in their bedrooms).

I was previously using an identincal Netgear modem/router (DG834G) albeit a couple of years old, connecting via Freedom2surf and all was hunky dory. Last week switched/'connected' to Sky Broadband but now I have the minor problem of NO Wireless Connection.

All 4 PC's have Belkin b/g wireless adaptors but the only way we can get internet access is by running ethernet cables or telephone extension cables all over the place.

Sky Brodband customer service is worse than rubbish since spending more than two hours on the phone to them during 4 calls. They have said they will not make a house call unless it has a 'Wired' connection, so why the hell do they provide 'Wireless' modem/routers?

Network connections show 100% or Excellent connectivity to 'Sky12345' router but the Belkin cards just will not connect to the flippin' thing.

It's nearly midnight, after another three hour stint and I'm desperate for help.

I paid Sky a 40 connection fee and really don't want to spend another 60 on netword adaptors as this just makes a complete nonsense of switching providers. It will take two years or more to get my money back!

Please..... anyone?

Tony Barber.

2. Advertisement
      allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Cannot make wireless connection to Sky (Netgear) router

Others will be better able to help than me but I thought I'd chip in while they are having a kip. I recognise the misery!

If the other router worked why not try that one for connecting to Sky. There are instructions elsewhere on this board about how to do this.

Good luck

saleshark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: nantwich
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In what way will it not connect??? My mate had a problem with his wireless connection and had a belkin wireless adaptor. I went around last night and changed the setting to Mix B/G and it connected straight away. Might be worth a try.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Allen, I'll definitely give it a go!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Saleshark. Sadly I've tried every setting on the adapters and router and every combination of both. Whatever the setting, the belkin utility (square box in system tray) remains 'red' 'not connected'. I've tried configuring them manually and letting windows do the job but alas, neither Belkin utility or Windows can make the connection to the router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Presumably you've tried with security turned off both on the router and on the PCs?
      Last edited by allen; 21-06-07 at 08:03 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Allen, yes I've tried with all security, firewalls, anti-virus and spam-catchers disabled. I'm set for another session with it all this weekend and feel I may turn to the 'last-resort' and remove and uninstall the Belkin adapters and buy new Netgear adapters. I'll report back in the hope I may be able to help others.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBarber View Post
      Hi Allen, yes I've tried with all security, firewalls, anti-virus and spam-catchers disabled. I'm set for another session with it all this weekend and feel I may turn to the 'last-resort' and remove and uninstall the Belkin adapters and buy new Netgear adapters. I'll report back in the hope I may be able to help others.

I wouldn't want to dishearten you but my own "wireless nightmare" involved trying to get a satisfactory connection between the Sky Netgear router and a Netgear Rangmax adapter. It worked ok close up but at any distance the connection was unstable and slow. Caused lots of domestic upset along the lines of "why on earth did you insist on moving to Sky BB - its crap" etc. (We'd previously had another wireless system which effortlessly covered the far corners of the house so we did have a benchmark).

So..... while your "last resort" will (probably) work don't assume the range will be good. Certainly don't buy lots of of Netgear adapters until you've tested one to make sure it does the job for you.

(there are various ways of "improving" the wireless functioning of the Sky router I believe but I'm not the best person to advise on these).

Good luck.

mikedodgson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Cannot make wireless connection to Sky (Netgear) router

Hello Everyone,

My brother in law is having the same problem connecting to Sky Broadband. I bought him a Linksys Wireless G USB adapter for his PC - but it won't connect to Sky Broadband, despite loads of tweaks in the setting etc - no joy.

Tried asking Sky for a recommended brand of USB Wireless Adapter but they won't give out that information... so to save me buying another adapter that may or may not work - just wondered if anyone had bought one themseleves, or know of anyone that has... that works!

Is it as straight forward as just getting a Netgear one? Will that solve the problem?

If anyone can come back and let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear back from someone soon.

Mike Dodgson

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

I had the same problem with my router and laptop, it would not connect regardless what security setting I used.

If I turned off the encryption it worked fine, but as soon as I activated it, well just say it was close to being thrown in the bin.

Anyway, I changed the encryption key and low and behold it connected first time, why it would not using the standard key provided by sky I dont know.

But all's well now.

Regards.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast