Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weak Sky Broadband wireless signal

This is a discussion on Weak Sky Broadband wireless signal within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, I'm on the Sky BB Mid package and like many other people, having problems with the wireless signal ...

dezza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01494
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Weak Sky Broadband wireless signal

Hi everyone,

I'm on the Sky BB Mid package and like many other people, having problems with the wireless signal from the router.

It's the standard Netgear router that they send out, and the ethernet/wired connections works OK. However, the wireless signal is only good when the laptop is in the same room. If I go into another room, or downstairs, the connection drops about every 5-10 minutes.

When it is actually working, the signal can range from limited connection to very good (or very occasionally excellent). I would like to use the laptop downstairs, and this isn't any good when the internet drops so often. The router is on a high shelf, and have tried a high gain aerial with it but did not make any difference.

My laptop card is a Netgear MA521 802.11b card. Could upgrading to a newer/802.11g card help this? Also, as suggested, I have tried turning uPnP off and setting the wireless signal to Auto 108, but this hasn't helped.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Weak Sky Broadband wireless signal

I think I would persist with the MA521 for the time being.

I use an old 802.11b PCI card and my computer is one floor up and there are at least three walls between it and the Sky router -- which is clearly the limit of its reliable range. So I can't criticise the the router.

To improve your reception use site survey/scan facility -- if it's not very informative on your version of the Netgear utilities down load Netstumbler (free from Tucows, Majorgeeks and similar). Move to a channel (ideally) 6 stops from the strongest neighbouring wireless network.

Relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc.

If possible, place the router on a shelf above head level -- to reduce obstruction from furniture and people. I've found placing the router and computer near windows on the same side of the building can boost signal dramatically. Though, obviously turn on encryption.

I assume you are having to use WEP and people will tell you that you should upgrade to a device that supports WPA, but maybe try these steps before you spend.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am using WEP at the moment, I thought Sky pre-configure the routers to use that?

So far, the wireless connection struggles when going through a single wall, the maximum range I can get is around 10 feet away, even through one wall the connection drops regularly.

The thing is that the connection downstairs can go from very good to non-existent in a second, so it seems that the wireless adaptor is OK. May there be a reason this might be happening? There are no other routers in the local area according to a site scan.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I see you've tried turning off UPnP. But from your description it sounds like that is the problem. If you turned it back on, I'd try disabling it again.

WPA is the default setting in the Sky router.
      Last edited by fihart; 19-06-07 at 12:32 AM.

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dezza View Post
      I am using WEP at the moment, I thought Sky pre-configure the routers to use that?

So far, the wireless connection struggles when going through a single wall, the maximum range I can get is around 10 feet away, even through one wall the connection drops regularly.

The thing is that the connection downstairs can go from very good to non-existent in a second, so it seems that the wireless adaptor is OK. May there be a reason this might be happening? There are no other routers in the local area according to a site scan.
      You'll find you can spend forever trying to get the Sky router to work wirelessly over the sort of distances which other (earlier) routers cover with ease. There are apparently other routers which are better - see suggestions elsewhere on this board.

I gave up and wired my old (2 Wire) router onto the back of the Sky one. It works all over the house no problem. Another alternative work thinking about (though not cheap) is ethernet over the power main if total portability isn't essential.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
      I gave up and wired my old (2 Wire) router onto the back of the Sky one. It works all over the house no problem. l.

Dezza -- see similar posting to thread started by m_unawar.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I see you've tried turning off UPnP. But from your description it sounds like that is the problem. If you turned it back on, I'd try disabling it again.

WPA is the default setting in the Sky router.
      Thanks for the reply, uPnP has been off for the past couple of days, I didn't turn it back on, and yes I do have WPA enabled. I also have the Auto 108Mbps selected as the wireless mode - is this correct? It defaults to channel 6, and as there aren't any other wireless networks close by, seems OK to use.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
      You'll find you can spend forever trying to get the Sky router to work wirelessly over the sort of distances which other (earlier) routers cover with ease. There are apparently other routers which are better - see suggestions elsewhere on this board.

I gave up and wired my old (2 Wire) router onto the back of the Sky one. It works all over the house no problem. Another alternative work thinking about (though not cheap) is ethernet over the power main if total portability isn't essential.
      Forgive my ignorance, but how do you mean? You put another router into your Sky BB box? Is the router you plugged in wireless, and does it have to be a special sort of router or just one you can pick up cheaply?

Thanks for the help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not much point in using 108 when the wireless adapter is 11b -- switching wireless mode to b & g would give you a wider choice of frequencies -- and that might help reception regardless of intereference issues.

Re: the post by Allen -- this involves linking the two routers by ethernet cable so that you can locate the second one nearer to your computer.

Properly this is done with a wireless booster, repeater or bridge (I think). But there are so many old routers around (I bought a spare Sky one for 6 at a boot sale and found a BT one in a skip) that this offers a cheap alternative.

Maybe send Allen a personal message asking for advice on how he set it up before tackling such a project.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try the different channels and see if that makes a difference - the Auto108 setting doesn't seem to make any difference anyway.

I do have a 9dbi high gain antenna with a 2m lead that I bought a few months ago - may this help the issue? If so, where would I position the antenna for best reception?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast