Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided

This is a discussion on Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Firstly, I am brand new to this forum, and have no experience of wireless broadband. I am trying to help ...

gerryfitz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided

Firstly, I am brand new to this forum, and have no experience of wireless broadband.

I am trying to help my daughter, who is in London, set up her laptop for SKY Broadband on wireless. (I'm in NE England, so we are working 'blind')

Her account is activated and the router they sent works OK on an ethernet cable.

The laptop is new and is wireless enabled and the wireless enabling switch is on. There is a Wireless Network icon in the Network Connections on Control Panel.

We can't get past the point in the set up where we need to put in the Network Key. She is typing in the Network Key that SKY provided, but we keep getting a message that she is putting in either too many or too few ASCII characters and we are a bit stuck, the set-up won't progress past this point.

Can anyone point me in the right direction,

Many thanks in advance

Gerry (Dad under pressure to get it working !!!!

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided

Annoyingly, some laptops use a different way of translating the passphrase.

The solution is connect the router to a computer that has a Netgear wireless adapter or an ethernet wired connector and copy the hex keys that the passphrase produces in the Sky/Netgear router and apply those to the laptop's wireless utility instead of the passphrase.

The Sky CD help files contain details on how to address the router's user interface via Internet Explorer.

If you only have the laptop the easiest solution is to buy a Netgear wireless USB adapter (23 from Sky). But if the laptop has a Cardbus slot a cheaper way is to get a Cardbus (aka PCMCIA or PC card) ethernet adapter (10 from PC World) and use the cable that came in the Sky carton to connect to the router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Forgive me, but I don't follow what you are saying.

The laptop will connect to the Internet OK via the SKY router using the Ethernet cable, it is only the wireless we can't get to work.

She wants to use wireless 'cos she has a very small flat and wants to use the laptop away from the phone point as that is situated in a a difficult to get at place in her living room.

I understand from what you say, that the laptop may not have the right translation method for the Network Key?

Is there a way to change the Network Key during setup to something that will work?

Will it only connect with the Network Key SKY gave her, or can we use the wireless network setup tool on XP to autogenerate one?

Forgive my stupidity, but I am no expert on this subject and truly don't understand what you are telling me to do.

She could buy one of those Dongles from SKY but it is frustrating that a wireless enabled laptop isn't enabled, if you get my drift?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, log in to the router using the ethernet connector. Type 192.188.0.1 into the address bar of Internet Explorer. When the login box appears type the username which is admin and the password which is sky.

Go to wireless security and write down the WPA hex keys produced by the sky passphrase (or invent a new one and note down the hex produced by that).

Save and log out. Go to the wireless utilities provided with the laptop's wireless adapter and type in the WPA hex keys (actually just the selected key, but you get my drift). You should then be able to connect.

If that still causes problems, I'd just disable encryption until you figure out the problem -- for example, if it's an older laptop it may only support WEP encryption.

Bear in mind also variable reception, interference from neighbouring equipment etc.

I agree with you about buying a dongle -- anyway their reception's not much better than built in wireless.

andyjsk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ruddington/02prem
      Broadband ISP: o2 prem.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Smile Re: Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided

had a similar problem myself then read the book and found out it should be entered in upper case did so and was rewarded with a steady heathy signaland a working link took me about 7hrs and numerous trips upstairsto check settings on 2nd machine but then foundthe leaflet and the words "in upper case" sprang out at me

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyjsk View Post
      had a similar problem myself then read the book and found out it should be entered in upper case did so and was rewarded with a steady heathy signaland a working link took me about 7hrs and numerous trips upstairsto check settings on 2nd machine but then foundthe leaflet and the words "in upper case" sprang out at me
      I'm glad you mentioned that because I always forget -- and it's a lot simpler than the palaver I suggested. Let's hope it's just that.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If she's running Windows XP then it needs to have Service Pack 2 to support WPA excryption.
      You can check this by right-clicking 'My Computer' and selecting 'Properties'.
      If SP2 is installed it will be mentioned under the Windows XP Home/Pro text.

If it's not then she will have to connect via the ethernet cable and download the update.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided

Very many thanks to everyone who helped.

We managed to change/generate a new Network Key by logging in to the router as described above (and also as described in the help forum on this site).

Worked a treat.

(The code was 192.168.0.1 and not 188 as given, but we sussed that fairly quickly).

Regards,

Gerry (and daughter)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gerryfitz View Post
      Very many thanks to everyone who helped.

(The code was 192.168.0.1 and not 188 as given, but we sussed that fairly quickly).
      Sorry about that, simple mistype, glad you could figure it out.

laertes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

[QUOTE=fihart;77937]
      Go to wireless security and write down the WPA hex keys produced by the sky passphrase (or invent a new one and note down the hex produced by that).
      QUOTE]

I cannot see the hex key translation in WPA - where I am not looking that I should be looking. All I can see is an 8 character (upper case!) passphrase.

On Vista it asks for the key or the passphrase, but neither seems to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast