Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided

This is a discussion on Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; [QUOTE=laertes;78402] Originally Posted by fihart Go to wireless security and write down the WPA hex keys produced by the sky ...

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Won't accept the Network Key that SKY provided

[QUOTE=laertes;78402]
      Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Go to wireless security and write down the WPA hex keys produced by the sky passphrase (or invent a new one and note down the hex produced by that).
      QUOTE]

I cannot see the hex key translation in WPA - where I am not looking that I should be looking. All I can see is an 8 character (upper case!) passphrase.

On Vista it asks for the key or the passphrase, but neither seems to work.
      I was referring to setting encryption within the router's user interface. If you're in the wireless adapter's utilities/Windows utilities it will look different.
      To connect to the router interface read the help files on the Sky CD.

2. Advertisement
      laertes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I found the router user interface thanks to the tutorial. But I cannot see how to translate the passphrase into HEX. I have tried to do it using an online translator, but that does not get me access either.

In Vista, it seems to accept either the HEX key or the alpha passphrase. But I am getting nowhere with either. Any other clues? Sorry for being thick but none of the solutions outlined seem to be working for me.

gerryfitz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We followed exactly, the instructions shown in the Wireless Tutorial at the top of this forum.

On generating a new passphrase the key appeared in a box below it.

Hope this helps.

bwtaylor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm having the same problem. Everything works fine with my laptop which has a wireless LAN PC card. However with my desktop (built-in Creatrix CTX404 WLAN ), the SKY network is recognised but when I try to connect I am told that a network key is required. When I enter the 8 letter network key I get the message:
      " The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration.This can be entered as 5 or 13 or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters"
      What the hell does this mean?

Any help would be much appreciated. This site has already helped me a lot. I was suffering the dreaded 16 minute disconnection glitch. I followed the advice to turn off the UPnP and now have been connected for 36 hours without a drop out. So thanks for that!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Presumably you are using the supplied Sky encryption passphrase (Network Key printed on the router) with the laptop that's working.

If the desktop's wireless adapter has its own utilities I would use them as they are less confusing than the Windows Zero Connection (Connect To menus).

However, the issue may be that the desktop's wireless adapter cannot accept a passphrase or translates it wrongly (this can happen when mixing brands).
      You probably need to access the Sky (Netgear) router's user interface either by ethernet cable from the desktop or via the laptop (as you did when turning off UPnP).

This is covered in the help files on the Sky CD but anyway open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and when a login box appears you offer the Username as admin and the Password is sky. Once in go Wireless Security and note down the hex codes produced by the passphrase and which one is the selected key.

Go back to the desktop's wireless adapter settings, encryption, and type the selected key's hex sequence to the selected key box.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Presumably you are using the supplied Sky encryption passphrase (Network Key printed on the router) with the laptop that's working.

If the desktop's wireless adapter has its own utilities I would use them as they are less confusing than the Windows Zero Connection (Connect To menus).

However, the issue may be that the desktop's wireless adapter cannot accept a passphrase or translates it wrongly (this can happen when mixing brands).
      You probably need to access the Sky (Netgear) router's user interface either by ethernet cable from the desktop or via the laptop (as you did when turning off UPnP).

This is covered in the help files on the Sky CD but anyway open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and when a login box appears you offer the Username as admin and the Password is sky. Once in go Wireless Security and note down the hex codes produced by the passphrase and which one is the selected key.

Go back to the desktop's wireless adapter settings, encryption, and type the selected key's hex sequence to the selected key box.

Thanks for the information. However I've already tried this but cannot find "the hex codes produced by the passphrase". Once into Wireless Settings, what shoud I do next to find the hex codes? I don't have a section called Wireless Security but there is a section called Secuity Options with 4 options with no. 3 applied.

Sorry to be thick but where do I go next?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

bwtaylor:

You are in the right section of the user interface. And you are right, the WPA option doesn't show you the hex codes. I hadn't spotted that because I use WEP -- if you select that you'll see what I meant.

Sorry if I caused confusion. I wouldn't recommend you use WEP if you can use WPA -- but for the time being try it and see if it solves your immediate problem (perhaps better than using no encryption).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I switched to WEP but did not hit the "Apply" but I was still able to get the hex code and then went back to WAP. Worked fine.

Ta!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12