Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unable to get IP Address

This is a discussion on Unable to get IP Address within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I have Netgear DG834G Sky Router. I am trying to connect my Dell latitude D600 notebook with router but ...

pwl14201 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unable to get IP Address

Hi
      I have Netgear DG834G Sky Router. I am trying to connect my Dell latitude D600 notebook with router but my wireless fails to get and IP address which remains at 0.0.0.0. When I switch off encryption from WPA-PSK, It connects and works fine.

I was using it earlier with other sky router before I moved to the current place. Well instead of waiting I bought a brand new Net Gear USB Wireless adapter (WG111T) which is having exactly same problem. It connected briefly but won’t let me connect with any kind of encryption on.

I just can not get an IP address by any means unless security is disabled. I have changed channel settings, Added IP manually, added Mac address, Reset TCP/IP and even reinstalled XP but still no joy!!! This is driving me nuts!! Can anyone Help?

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Unable to get IP Address

Usual wireless problems are range, interference, encryption.

Suggest start with laptop in same room as router. Scan for neighbouring networks.

Follow the instructions in the Sky CD's help files to access the router's user interface via Internet Explorer.

In wireless settings, select a channel 6 stops away from strongest neighbouring network (if poss).

If still not connecting examine encryption settings, make sure the passphrase is typed with caps lock off (or on so long as it's the same in both router and adapter). If you want to use the non-Netgear wireless adapter make a note of the HEX keys produced by the passphrase and apply those direct to the laptop's wireless adapter encryption settings (different brands may translate the passphrase differently). If the Dell's inbuilt wireless adapter is Intel, download latest driver for it.

If trying to use the Netgear wireless adapter in the laptop, probably a good idea to disable the inbuilt Dell wireless.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply,
      I have tried both within the same room.
      With in-built wireless router
      - Cannot get an IP from router with any kind of security enabled, but can connect if security is disabled
      - Checked with all channels including no 6 but no joy
      - I connect via second laptop with WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) enabled and disabled without any problem

With Netgear Wireless USB adapter
      - Disabled the built-in wireless card
      - Unable to connect if encryption enabled but works fine by disabling security
      - In built wireless card is Dell wireless mini card with updated version

The most confusing part is that it was working previously but since the time i have I have this new connection with new router it just won’t work. I tried by adding MAC and IP manually but it won’t work....To complete this mission with netgear I have installed the updated drivers from netgear but it won’t do..To add more spice I wiped the entire os installed Windows vista with vista compatible drivers....and guess what?

Even this doesn’t work....!! sounds interesting???? it is but not am too irritated now..I just need to know why both network cards stop working with security!!!!

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just trying to break things down logically here - sounds like you have MAC filtering enabled. First of all, can you disable this and see if it makes any difference?

Also keep in mind that if you use a different network adapter, your MAC address has now changed. But first things first, let's see if it works with it disabled altogether.

Tom

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mac filtering is disabled on the router! Even If i add the MAC address manually it doesnt work. I havent cracked this issue Yet...

obvious is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Same problem here exactly. I'm trying to set up a neighbours wg111t -> dg834g and it will not get an IP if WPA-PSK is selected on the router.

Other methods eg wep or no encryption work fine.

The netgear "smart wizard" just keeps showing an IP of 0.0.0.0 and then rescans if WPA encryption is used. Bit of a poor show really.

beadlenet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crook
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi All,
      I had a similar problem with a WG111T and found that my WPA-PSK passphrase wouldn't work as it was 15 digits long.
      Shortening it to 13 worked!
      Strange or what?
      It wouldn't hurt to try it!