Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How do I turn off the wireless?

This is a discussion on How do I turn off the wireless? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by xyz I didn't know you could do that. I tried putting it in a biscuit tin thinking ...

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
      I didn't know you could do that. I tried putting it in a biscuit tin thinking that the metal would shield the radiation in but I don't believe that has any effect as the strength of the signal is unchanged

So how do I do that then?
      you serious?

2. Advertisement
      xyz
      xyz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01733
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
      you serious?
      OK it sounds real stoopid but I got the idea from the Panorama program. There was this woman who was electrosensitive to WiFi radiation and they showed her house which had the walls draped with anti-radiation fabric. She demonstrated how regular bacofoil reduced the radiation registering on her sensor. So I first wrapped my router antenna with tin foil which did nothing - I can see the strength of the signal on my laptop - so I moved onto the biscuit tin. Hey if you had watched the program, you'd seen that in Sweden, this electrosensitivity is now a registered disability and the government actually pays for the walls of such people's homes to be painted with some special, extremely expensive, thick, black paint to cut down the radiation.

I think that program must have generated a lot of concerns. A few months ago, I asked at PCWorld if they stocked any homeplug networking kits which used the electrical supply of the home to connect the PCs. The guy said they used to stock them but since there was no interest in that product, they no longer had any in the shops. Today, I just saw a huge advert in the Telegraph showing Devolo homeplug kits selling at PCWorld. I am quite impressed with the speed at which PCWorld responds to consumer demand.

pt23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01228
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How do I turn off the wireless?

If you still want to use laptops/other PCs around the house, take a look at the devolo home networking kit, which can be bought from about 65 at PC World, Maplin ... or try ebay for a cheaper set first.

This plugs into the back of the Sky router and distributes broadband around the house via the household power circuit.

In response to the Panorama programe, I've just reinstalled my Devolo system and disabled the wireless on my router as described earlier in this listing.

I think with young kids in the house it may be worth waiting to see what future research comes up with on this subject.

xyz
      xyz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01733
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How do I turn off the wireless?

I think the 65 Devolo is not a good buy - I've been looking at the next level up which is the 85Mbps job for which PCWorld is asking 95. I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Can you advise me on a USB Ethernet adapter? I don't have a network card in my PC and I'm not keen on opening up the casing to install one. On reading around, I think I can plug an Ethernet adapter into a USB socket rather than install a network card. Amazon has so many to choose from and I just have no idea which one to get.

Can someone also advise me if I should get a CAT6 patch cable or would CAT5 be good enough? Actually the prices at Amazon are so cheap, I might as well go for the CAT6. Why is there such a big difference between the Amazon cable prices and those at PCWorld? The PCWorld cable prices are outrageous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12