Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

cant fighure out how to set up a wireless conection?

This is a discussion on cant fighure out how to set up a wireless conection? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi im a noob when it comes to laptops+pc's but can some1 please help me? on saturday i had Sky ...

AsILayDying is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cant fighure out how to set up a wireless conection?

hi im a noob when it comes to laptops+pc's but can some1 please help me?
      on saturday i had Sky come and set up my broadband the guy who they sent was dumb as hell and didnt no his **** from his elbow,and could only show me how to set up a wired connection.
      now since i did not buy a wireless card from SKY for my laptop the help desk would not help me,how ****ty is that?

like i said im crap with laptops+pc's my set up is a
      Acer Aspire 5610z laptophas a wireless connection
      Sky Netgear wireless router supplied buy sky

i just cant fighure out how 2 set it up wireless from my laptop so im using a wired connection now.

2. Advertisement
      JED
      JED is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GEDLING
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: cant fighure out how to set up a wireless conection?

Hi

The SKY router comes with encryption added which is a security measure to prevent others from logging on to your router.

Firstly, log onto the router using 192.168.0.1 in your brower's address line. Then enter username of ADMIN and password as SKY.

I would then change the password to something only you know and also under the LAN IP settings (I think) change the default IP address to something more random like 192.168.2.223 or something so that it becomes harder for someone else to guess.

Then, under the security settings on your laptop's wireless connection, enter the key which is provided by Sky on the little card you should find in the box. One this is applied you should be able to use the wireless connection (if you were using a Mac and OSX it is really easy as a box just appears asking you to enter the key )

I would be more specific but I am not by my router at the moment. Have a got at this and see how far you get - I will try to help further later one when I can see a router myself.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: cant fighure out how to set up a wireless conection?

As above -- but the router login user name and password are in lower case not capitals.

And note that the Acer may user a different algorithm for translating the Sky WPA passphrase into HEX.

Just in case, while in the router's encryption settings write down the HEX codes produced by the passphrase and if necessary apply those directly to the Acer instead of the passphrase.