Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Line fades when working on wireless

This is a discussion on Line fades when working on wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Can anyone help me please. I can connect to Sky broadband no problem with Ethernet cable and stay on but ...

JanetG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bt
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Line fades when working on wireless

Can anyone help me please. I can connect to Sky broadband no problem with Ethernet cable and stay on but wireless setup fades. Have contacted Sky tier 1 and 2 lots of times with no joy whatsoever. Had 2 phone calls from Sky tier 3 – had to wait more than 5 days for each call. First Tier 3 call - had my line changed from ADSL2+ to G-DMT. Still line drops on wireless. Second call from Tier 3, was told nothing wrong with router – because I could connect through Ethernet – but that it was my computer that was the problem – Fujitsu Siemens laptop 2 years old - and told to contact my supplier. Am trying to be patient and persevere as I don’t really want to move from Sky. Recently moved from AOL was on 28bit WEP – no problems. Could my problem be my computer hardware – Intel®Pro 2200BG 2004 – needs upgrading to work with WPA-PSK TKIP. Have run wizard and it says could not find a better match for this computer. Wireless is set to work on ad hoc. Or is the problem in my firewall. Going round in circles, has anyone solved this problem. Regards.

2. Advertisement
      Skygazing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough MYSCA
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Line fades when working on wireless

When you say "wireless setup fades" do you mean the wireless signal strength?

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I've been told, and proven for myself, that the Sky router isn't particularly good at wireless. Mine works fine to my laptop when sited upstairs, but if I move it down to the Master Socket, end of the news, no connection - which is crazy as I'm then on the same level as the laptop. You could try swapping channels? The router is defaulted to Ch.6 while 11 is, allegedly, better (don't forget to change channels to match on your laptop).
      Last edited by greyrider; 08-05-07 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelning

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't set the wireless adapter to Adhoc. The router is Infrastructure.

My wireless connection fades in and out -- due to the nature of the building I'm at the limits of the reliable reception.

One trick is to put both the router and the computer near windows on the same side of the building -- signal travels through air better than through brick.

Scan for neighbouring wireless networks and select a channel 6 stops away from them.

Turn off or relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skygazing View Post
      When you say "wireless setup fades" do you mean the wireless signal strength?
      Hello Skygazing, thanks for your quick reply, yes I mean my wireless signal strength just fades away to nothing and I can't get a browser page. The signal can list up to 2 hours, but mostly only lasts about 5 minutes. I have to reboot my computer and reset the router. The only way I can stay on Sky Broadband is via the ethernet cable so I can't set up my home network. I came from AOL and had no trouble whatsoever with my wireless network but then I bought my Netgear router from Netgear and put the encryption in myself. It was WEP 28 bit. Wasn't restricted to the Sky router set up. Regards JanetG

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wink Re: Line fades when working on wireless

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      I've been told, and proven for myself, that the Sky router isn't particularly good at wireless. Mine works fine to my laptop when sited upstairs, but if I move it down to the Master Socket, end of the news, no connection - which is crazy as I'm then on the same level as the laptop. You could try swapping channels? The router is defaulted to Ch.6 while 11 is, allegedly, better (don't forget to change channels to match on your laptop).
      Hello Greyrider, thanks for your quick reply. I'm already on channel 11. This came with the Sky router setup and as far as I know I've done everything to their spec. There is another network near to me that I can see. Wonder if this is taking the signal. I came from AOL and had no problem whatsoever. I bought my Netgear Router from Netgear and put the encryption in myself. WEP 28 bit. I had extensions all over the place and the router wasn't the first thing in on the BT line and it worked perfectly. Thought it was my wireless phone system at first but it isn't. The signal doesn't fade at all if I use the ethernet cable and Sky tell me its not the router if I can use the ethernet. Very perplexed. Regards JanetG

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Don't set the wireless adapter to Adhoc. The router is Infrastructure.

My wireless connection fades in and out -- due to the nature of the building I'm at the limits of the reliable reception.

One trick is to put both the router and the computer near windows on the same side of the building -- signal travels through air better than through brick.

Scan for neighbouring wireless networks and select a channel 6 stops away from them.

Turn off or relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc.
      Hello Fihart, thanks for your quick reply. When I try to change from ad hoc my computer defaults back to it and I'm not sure what to look at to change defaults. There is another network I'm picking up. I'm on channel 11 - Sky gave me instructions for router, so are you saying I need to change this from 11 to channel 5. Will give it a go. Getting very perlexed. Regards JanetG

vp143 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

JanetG- I too am experiencing this problem. I use an Asus wireless laptop with Intel®Pro 2200BG with a driver version of 9.0.4.17.

I used this laptop with another router but moved house and then decided to join Sky. I didnt have any issues with the previous router and the laptop.

The issues are that the connection to the wireless becomes disconnected, sometimes the IP address given is by the router is not valid and therefore no connection to the internet. Leaving it for while will reconnect and reassign a ip address.

I also have a desktop which is connected via wireless (netgear pci card) which seems to work perfectly.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello Vp143 thankyou for replying. Yes, it does reconnect eventually when it finds the IP address but this is not good enough and Sky can't tell me why it happens. What causes it. I really don't think its my wireless phone system. There is another network that I'm picking up in the area. Can this network weaken my signal. Did you resolve the problem with your laptop. Please let me know if you did. Thanks

Skygazing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough MYSCA
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

JanetG - did you change the wireless channel. If so did it solve the problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast