Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Line fades when working on wireless

This is a discussion on Line fades when working on wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by greyrider I've been told, and proven for myself, that the Sky router isn't particularly good at wireless. ...

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Line fades when working on wireless

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      I've been told, and proven for myself, that the Sky router isn't particularly good at wireless. Mine works fine to my laptop when sited upstairs, but if I move it down to the Master Socket, end of the news, no connection - which is crazy as I'm then on the same level as the laptop. You could try swapping channels? The router is defaulted to Ch.6 while 11 is, allegedly, better (don't forget to change channels to match on your laptop).
      Different channels 'shouldn't' make any difference ?
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JanetG View Post
      Hello Skygazing, thanks for your quick reply, yes I mean my wireless signal strength just fades away to nothing and I can't get a browser page. The signal can list up to 2 hours, but mostly only lasts about 5 minutes. I have to reboot my computer and reset the router. The only way I can stay on Sky Broadband is via the ethernet cable so I can't set up my home network. I came from AOL and had no trouble whatsoever with my wireless network but then I bought my Netgear router from Netgear and put the encryption in myself. It was WEP 28 bit. Wasn't restricted to the Sky router set up. Regards JanetG
      Try this. Open an ms-dos prompt. (assume your using windows).

At the prompt, type ping -t 192.168.0.1

Does it get replies for a bit, then lose connection, then start up again? This is what I get...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello Greyrider, thanks for your quick reply. I'm already on channel 11. This came with the Sky router setup and as far as I know I've done everything to their spec. There is another network near to me that I can see. Wonder if this is taking the signal. I came from AOL and had no problem whatsoever. I bought my Netgear Router from Netgear and put the encryption in myself. WEP 28 bit. I had extensions all over the place and the router wasn't the first thing in on the BT line and it worked perfectly. Thought it was my wireless phone system at first but it isn't. The signal doesn't fade at all if I use the ethernet cable and Sky tell me its not the router if I can use the ethernet. Very perplexed. Regards JanetG
      How can Sky say its not the router if ethernet works? All that proves is that the WAN port is up and the ethernet port is up and working.

Doesnt prove that the wireless function is working, does it?

JanetG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bt
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello again Skygazing,

Changing channels is the next thing on my dwindling list of things to try Not had much time. Do I have to alter anything else on my computer when I change channels - only a novice at this, I understand the concepts but when faced with options that I don't understand I tend not to go ahead. I've checked the upgrade on my wireless chip and there's nothing wrong with it. For the last few days, when I've used broadband I've used the ethernet cable - no trouble with ethernet. Yesterday I changed all the equipment and cables round and moved them into different rooms. The walls in my house are quite thick so I've moved my cordless telephone base into another room far away from the router. The router is stood on top of my telly at the moment, not a good place for it to stay but so far so good, I've stayed on wireless this morning for nearly 2 hours - a record for a Friday morning If I go off, I'll try changing channels. I do want to stay with Sky and its becoming quite a challenge to sort this out rather than move to another provider. I'll let you know what happens. Regards JanetG

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      I've been told, and proven for myself, that the Sky router isn't particularly good at wireless. Mine works fine to my laptop when sited upstairs, but if I move it down to the Master Socket, end of the news, no connection - which is crazy as I'm then on the same level as the laptop. You could try swapping channels? The router is defaulted to Ch.6 while 11 is, allegedly, better (don't forget to change channels to match on your laptop).
      Sky router is a Netgear which are 'usually' decent bits of equipment. Then again, if Sky have rebadged it you can guarantee its the shoddiest piece of crap ever !!!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skygazing View Post
      JanetG - did you change the wireless channel. If so did it solve the problem?
      Worth a try but changing the channel should not really make any difference unless your original channel is clashing with something else (like someone elses wireless network or DECT phone).

All channels are created equal !!!!

JanetG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bt
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello Psychocandy, I tried the ping and this is what I got - 32 bytes of data then a continuing line of "Request timed out" When I tried to get back to Skyuser, I'd lost the connection and had to reboot my computer. Maybe it was the ping or maybe it just faded as usual. Yes, I agree about the router/ethernet cable comment by Sky. Thought it was tripe when they said it. So changing channels won't make a difference. Why do you think Sky changed the Netgear Router to their own spec. I agree Netgear is a good piece of equipment. I used one for 2 years no problem with AOL. I've still got it. Tried to connect it but Sky had hidden all the data. When I got into Sky/Negear router config I saw all the settings but was unsure how to go from there. Any ideas? Regard JanetG

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello Psychocandy, I tried the ping and this is what I got - 32 bytes of data then a continuing line of "Request timed out" When I tried to get back to Skyuser, I'd lost the connection and had to reboot my computer. Maybe it was the ping or maybe it just faded as usual. Yes, I agree about the router/ethernet cable comment by Sky. Thought it was tripe when they said it. So changing channels won't make a difference. Why do you think Sky changed the Netgear Router to their own spec. I agree Netgear is a good piece of equipment. I used one for 2 years no problem with AOL. I've still got it. Tried to connect it but Sky had hidden all the data. When I got into Sky/Negear router config I saw all the settings but was unsure how to go from there. Any ideas? Regard JanetG
      Does the wireless reconenct itself after a bit and then the pings start working again?

Sky have taken the Netgear router and modified it slightly. For instance, you cant see the username and password that you are conencted with. This is hardcoded in by Sky.

Not sure if theres a way to change (not that you would want to), but there are ways to get your username and password out of there.

If you've got this, theoretically, you could use an alternate router and use this user name and password. Sky dont support this but, hey, so what?

Theres loads of threads showing how to do this. Also, theres a tool called Router bounce tool or something which I use.

It sits in the taskbar and you can click on it to get router stats, display username and password etc. It also checks your connection from time to time. I'm sure its on a stcky here somewhere....

vp143 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello Vp143 thankyou for replying. Yes, it does reconnect eventually when it finds the IP address but this is not good enough and Sky can't tell me why it happens. What causes it. I really don't think its my wireless phone system. There is another network that I'm picking up in the area. Can this network weaken my signal. Did you resolve the problem with your laptop. Please let me know if you did. Thanks
      I have not solved the problem yet. I have a few networks in the area too but am not sure if it weakens the signal. I am currently looking into other devices such as cordless telephone which may affect the signal. I have tried changing channels but it did not make a difference.

vp143 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

JanetG- Can you tell me the driver version number of your IntelŪPro 2200BG driver. You can find this out by right clicking on my computer / Hardware / Device Manager / Network adapters / right click on IntelŪPro 2200BG and click properties. Finally go to the driver tab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast