Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Belkin wireless card

This is a discussion on Belkin wireless card within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Got two problems here. Firstly, i've bought a Belkin Wireless G+ desktop card because i want to share my interent ...

zoggy14 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Belkin wireless card

Got two problems here. Firstly, i've bought a Belkin Wireless G+ desktop card because i want to share my interent connection with another computer. At first it was installed properly, however i didn't understand the Windows wireless network set up wizard, the part about putting the usb stick into your WAP.

Anyway, couldn't do it, and today i went back to see if i could do it without using the wizard, however the card is not installed properly according to windows. I've taken it out, uninstalled the software and drivers that came with it, and then re-installed everything, but i'm getting the same problem.

Any idea whats wrong, and also, for when i do get it working, any tips for neteorking the second computer, and i only want to share the internet connection.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Belkin wireless card

I don't quite understand your reference to putting the USB stick into the WAP. Perhaps you can clarify what you want re networking the second computer ?

Meanwhile, it sounds like you have a Belkin PCI card wireless adapter (which is a good choice). Problems can arise with encryption when mixing brands. It's not serious -- you just have to access the router's user interface (see Tutorials here on setting up wireless) and have a look at the wireless encryption WPA settings. There's you'll see that the Passphrase supplied by Sky (in the paperwork they sent you and printed on the underside of the router) translates into 4 boxes of HEX code. You need to note down the HEX code from the selected box (usually Box 1).

Then apply the HEX code in the Belkin wireless adapter's utilities WPA encryption interface (I would avoid using Windows to manage the connection because I find it confusing).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At the moment I've got Sky BB on this computer (wired), and i want to network another computer (downstairs) to this one, so that i can share the internet connection, and i'm wanting to do it wirelessly, as it's not feasible to run a cable from the router to the other computer.

Heres a screenshot of the setup wizard, it is telling me to plug the usb drive into the router isn't it? Or am i reading it wrong, because obviously there is no usb port.

Can't do anything though until the wireless card sorts itself out, i've tried re-installing the drivers, looking for new ones, i've gone through the installation process numerous times etc but it's not working

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think I understand. I wouldn't try to link one computer to the router and then link another computer to that computer. I would use the wireless adapter in the second computer to talk directly to the router and then figure out how to get the two computers talking, if that's the other objective.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh right yeah, i've been trying to connect the two computers when i've been going through the wizard haven't I? No I only want to share the internet, so do I just connect 2nd computer to router?

I'm going to have another crack with the card, try it in a different pci slot etc and if that doesn't work, I might just buy a USB dongle and cut my lossess.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm probably being unclear. I would connect one computer to the router by cable as you've been doing. Connect the other computer to the router by wireless if that's what you want. That should give both computers access to the internet.

Setting up the wireless is more complicated because of the way the Sky router is delivered (with encryption enabled). While troubleshooting, use the wired computer to temporarily disable the encryption by addressing the router's user interface via Internet Explorer. If in doubt, see Tutorials on this site for how.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I'm probably being unclear. I would connect one computer to the router by cable as you've been doing. Connect the other computer to the router by wireless if that's what you want. That should give both computers access to the internet.
      I managed to get the wireless card working properly this morning, so I'm going to attempt your method, it makes much more sense then what i was trying to do

Edit - I've started going through the wireless tutorial on this site, but can't get past step 2, when i click properties there is no wireless tab.

It seems my router isn't sending out a signal at all, as my downstairs computer (with the card in) isn't finding any networks or devices. I've looked at the guide on hee for router configuration but i'm not making any sense of it
      Last edited by zoggy14; 07-05-07 at 01:27 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you have you managed to start the Belkin wireless adapter's utilities, they should include a site survey/scan facility which will detect your router's wireless signal (and perhaps some neighbouring ones). That way you'll know that the adapter is installed properly and operative.

The router will have had wireless activated by default. The hurdle to connecting successfully is usually the WPA encryption that Sky sets by default.

My advice would be to temporarily disable the encryption in the router by talking to it via the computer which is connected by ETHERNET CABLE.

To do this you start Internet Exploer and in the address bar type the router's IP address which is 192.168.0.1 you should then see a login box. The User name is admin Password is sky. Once in, go to Wireless, Encryption and disable all encryption. Logo Out.

You should then be able to talk to the router using the wireless connection on the other computer.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've disabled the encryption as you said, but my downstairs computer still isn't picking up my router. The Belkin software that came with the card doesn't have a scan function, but it does have a window which displays all wireless signals it picks up. I've refreshed said window but it still isn't finding anything.

There is an option to disable the Belkin software and use Windows instead, however the save preferences button isn't active, even when i change various options.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Whether you use Windows or the Belkin utilities to manage your connection is mainly a matter of taste -- I use the utilities with my wireless adapters because I find them easier than Windows.

The Belkin refresh button is the same as scan.

I'm surprised you can pick up nothing -- your next step may be to address the router. Is the wireless LED lit ?

If not, it's time to go in and see if the router's wireless is, for some reason, not on -- or not working. See my previous post for how.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast