Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

5 hours trying to work wireless

This is a discussion on 5 hours trying to work wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Got Sky Max BB connected yesterday, wired desktop works perfectly, no problems there. 1st laptop has built in wireless, ...

Mundo7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hooton
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy 5 hours trying to work wireless

Hi,

Got Sky Max BB connected yesterday, wired desktop works perfectly, no problems there.

1st laptop has built in wireless, took me a while with settings etc and IP addresses but that one now works fine.

2nd laptop has a Belkin wireless card in, surprisingly enough this was the easiest one to get working, took only a few minutes.

Now to the problem:

3rd laptop, a Toshiba something or other with built in wireless, worked fine with my old Belkin router (i had to assign it a specific IP). I select the Sky network, insert the key and it tries to acquire an IP address (unsucessfully). Takes a while and just says "Invalid IP Address" in the properties page, as well as 0.0.0.0 in the IP address. Obviously i then can't connect to the internet/router page with that laptop.

I then tried to assign the laptop a specific IP address (192.168.0.5) which it accepts ok and says it is connected to the network with an excellent reception. I can then access the router page in my browser. However i cannot access the internet at all, however i try!

I spent 5 hours last night trying to get this to work and finally had to go to sleep. I'm in work now so can't try any solutions until later tonight however i've looked far and wide on the internet for solutions to the problem and cannot find any specific thing that is wrong!

Can anyone help......please!!!

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 5 hours trying to work wireless

If you've tried this already, sorry.

When using mixed brands of equipment, don't try applying the encryption passphrase because different brands translate the phrase different ways. Instead apply the selected HEX code from the router to the appropriate box in the adapter's encryption interface.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cheers, i'll try that tonight and fingers crossed!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm using WPA-PSK so i'm just putting in the network key on the card, so i doubt this is the problem.

Any other ideas?

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi fihart
      don't mean to be stupid but would you mind explaining what the HEX codes are that you often mention.
      where are these found and what do they look like.
      whenever i check my router's config page the network key is written in normal large case letters?
      many thanks, this is intriguing me now!!!

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Believe me, I wish I didn't know about HEX codes either.

For those who only joined the party in the past 15 years -- before Windows centralised printing services, each program needed its own printer driver for the model of printer you wanted to use. Luckily most printers could mimic an Epson RX80 dot matrix model. But a few wouldn't work together without delving into code and that's where I met HEX.

All I know is it's a way of expressing numbers. So now when you put your pet's name in as a password, some clever(ish) bit of software translates 'Tiddles' into 0E XX BA F0 or something. You'll see this in action if you put a passphrase into the Netgear router's encryption section or the user interface for some wireless adapters.

It only becomes an issue here where different brands of wireless gear choose to use different algorithms to do the translation of 'Tiddles' -- one device will change it to 0E XX B0 or whatever and the other will produce EO YY 0B etc. Result, unhappiness.

The solution is to laboriously note down the annoying HEX characters and type them into the other device's interface instead of the passphrase.
      Last edited by fihart; 23-05-07 at 10:25 AM. Reason: unintended expletive deleted