Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

changing channels

This is a discussion on changing channels within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; after reflashing my router i have not had any problems with drop of internet connection. however with regard to wireless ...

KILL BILL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: spam
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

changing channels

after reflashing my router i have not had any problems with drop of internet connection.

however with regard to wireless i need to know if i can stop the windows wireless connection to stick with one channel instead of scanning the 13 others.

whats happenes is that my wirless connection will drop out every 5 mins or so.

if however i dont use the windows wirelss connection but instead use the netgear wireless utility that came with my netgear wg121 usb adapter then my wireless connection is rock solid - however for some reason the netgear utility fails to save the wep key so i have to retype it in when i boot up my machine even though i have saved the profile.

with windows wireless netowrking the wep key is saved

any suggestion on the above.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: changing channels

Which firmware did you reflash it with ? If it was Netgear's did this cure the UPnP problem of repeated disconnection that affects the Sky firmware.

Regarding the Netgear wireless adapter utility, after you have chosen the router to connect to there is a save button which invites you to name a profile. If you don't create this saved profile, and select it next time, you will experience the problem you report.

KILL BILL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: spam
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: changing channels

yes i flashed it with the netgear firmware and did not have the internet connection drops which was a major problem - i have disabled upnp in any event

regaring my second point when i save the profile - only the configureation setting relating to the network itself are saved on the profile and not the wep settings.

every time i boot up i have to go into the utility and either type in the passprase or the wep keys manually.

using windows wireless the wep key is typed in and therefore i should be okay but for some reason it keeps changing channels thus dropping my wireless connection