Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting wirelessly to sky broadband

This is a discussion on Connecting wirelessly to sky broadband within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have recently purchased sky broadband and with it a new vista laptop. As a broadband and wireless virgin ...

AdamR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting wirelessly to sky broadband

Hi,
      I have recently purchased sky broadband and with it a new vista laptop. As a broadband and wireless virgin I'm having real problems getting the wireless bit up and running. It works fine using an ethernet cable so I'm pretty sure the router itself is fine but I've no idea how to configure my laptop to connect to it wirelessly.
      When I try and connect to the wireless network there's a message saying that "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network" so it doesn't even let me get as far as trying to connect. When I go to the wireless network properties there are various security options and I'm not sure if I'm using the right one (although I've pretty much tried them all) They are:

• No authentication
      • Shared
      • WPA2-Personal
      • WPA-Personal
      • WPA2-Enterprise
      • WPA Enterprise
      • 802.1x

Any help at all much appreciated as I feel like I'm swimmng in mud at the moment!!!!

Thanks
      AdamR

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connecting wirelessly to sky broadband

The Sky router is set up to work with WPA (probably the Personal one you have listed, but I've never heard it described like that).

Try applying the passphrase that Sky supplied you with (eight character alphanumeric) to your notebook's wireless user interface.

It'll work with one of the WPA options you've listed.

Failing that you'll have to get into the Router's user interface and reset the wireless encryption to match your laptop's encryption options.