Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Wireless Speeds

This is a discussion on Slow Wireless Speeds within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Have read all the threads and am trying everything others have suggested but with no joy. I am synching at ...

da0907 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Wireless Speeds

Have read all the threads and am trying everything others have suggested but with no joy. I am synching at 13.5mb and wired I download at 8-9mb. Wireless I download at 2-3mb.

The laptop wireless adapter and the pc wireless bridge are both b devices. If I buy rangemax products, will this help?

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Wireless Speeds

Speed almost always takes a hit on wireless -- the better the signal the better the speed so the extra cost of Range Max may be worth it.

But I'd be surprised if you gain all that much over 11b devices if they're within reliable range of the router.

The biggest difference I found was to switch from a USB 11g adapter back to an old PCI 11b -- the old PCI device was far better than the newer USB.

Of course, neither compared to an ethernet cable.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Speed almost always takes a hit on wireless -- the better the signal the better the speed so the extra cost of Range Max may be worth it.

But I'd be surprised if you gain all that much over 11b devices if they're within reliable range of the router.

The biggest difference I found was to switch from a USB 11g adapter back to an old PCI 11b -- the old PCI device was far better than the newer USB.

Of course, neither compared to an ethernet cable.
      Somebody has told me that a b device is max 2mb for downloading. Is it true?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

11b is 11megabit -- which is about as fast as you'll get from an "up-to-16mb" connection like Sky Max.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So what can I do next to increase wireless speed. I am going to get a new n adapter and try that but am not hopeful much may change.

Have tried what is said on these pages. Please help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To optimise your wireless connection, check out the forums and tutorials at the top of this page.

In summary:

Try to get within reliable range of the router. If there are too many solid walls within the property a dodge is to locate both the router and the computer by windows on the same side of the building -- wireless travels better thru air than brick. Obviously encryption is essential if you do that.

Rather than spend more on a Range Max, look on e-bay for a high gain aerial for the Sky router (and your adapter if poss) check out the connector type(s) first.

If there are neighbouring wireless networks, select a channel 6 stops away.
      The scan/site survey utility with your adapter will show what's on air -- but NetStumbler (free download) is more sensitive and displays signal to noise ratios.

Also get hold of TCPOptimiser (free download) and see if you need to adjust your MTU settings.

Encryption will slow things down and the alternative is to look in the router setup for Wireless Station Access List and identify your adapters by MAC ID so that only they can connect. This is an imperfect security step, but better than nothing.
      Last edited by fihart; 23-04-07 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added thought

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would not recommend disabling security on the wireless nor would i bother with restricting by mac address.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to let you know. For my main PC I have spent all day becoming wired and am speedtesting at around 11mb.

Even better news that my laptop which is running wireless is also getting speeds around 11mb.

Not sure if taking the very old b adapter out of the loop (didn't make any difference when on laptop when PC was off), or because I took b adapter out of the loop could move to WPA protection instead of WEP, or that I ran optimiser on both (didn't change anything last night).

Whatever the reason just want to thank all that helped me. Great Community and Great Site.

David