Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless adapters

This is a discussion on wireless adapters within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi folks just signed up to this website and was looking for bit of advice. I had my Sky package ...

ashmore1515 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wireless adapters

Hi folks just signed up to this website and was looking for bit of advice. I had my Sky package installed in February, it worked fine to begin with but then I started having problems with staying connected. After weeks of people at sky trying to find out what the problem was I eventually got through to a higher technician. He explained the line was weak and so reduced the speed of my broadband from 8mbps to 5mbps and said this should rectify the problem. It didn't. I asked if Bt could be informed about the weak line but he suggested a wireless adapter would be the next step.

Will a wireless adapter sort out the problem and keep me connected??

Much appreciated

matt

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless adapters

God, what are those guys on ? Presumably Commission for selling wireless adapters.

Wireless isn't going to help, if anything it'll make things slower and add a whole new level of confusion over encryption, interference etc.

Instead have a look at the posts on here about phone cabling and faceplates.

H0OPERS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless adapters

So let me get this straight, your having an intermittent connection, with the ethernet cable in? and he suggested a wireless adapter!?

in a nutshell NO it wont help, so they already capped your line, the problem might lie at your end with the sockets or setup you have etc but from wired to wireless to stay connected, never, unless theres a fault with the ethernet cable, or port on broadband box OR a fault with your ethernet card on your pcm which i doubt.

You may need your line re-graded, keep reporting it and eventually they will either regrade or send out an engineer to check your internal wiring.

ashmore1515 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: wireless adapters

Thanks guys

very helpful