Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Remote firewall blocking the connection

This is a discussion on Remote firewall blocking the connection within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; We have wireless broadband in our flat - my flatmates don't seem to have problems with it. I have just ...

njb26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Remote firewall blocking the connection

We have wireless broadband in our flat - my flatmates don't seem to have problems with it. I have just got a new laptop and although at times the internet is fine, it can be very slow and more often than not comes up with the error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

When I click on diagnose connection problems the following message comes up:

Windows confirmed that "www.yahoo.co.uk" (or whatever website trying to view) is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time.

This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking "world wide web servie (HTTP)". Windows has confirmed that Windows Firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection. However, a remote firewall might be blocking the connection.

If you have access to this firewall then configure the firewall to allow connections through TCP Port 80. If you don't have access contact your network administrator or Internet service provider.

This happens regardless of whether my flatmates are connected at the same time as me. I'm not sure if this happens because of settings on my laptop (Windows Vista seems to be casuing all sorts of trouble!) or something to do with Sky but I would appreciate some advice!

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Remote firewall blocking the connection

I'm inherently sceptical as to the accuracy of error messages, but you might as well start by temporarily switching off the firewall in Vista.

Don't know how to switch off firewall in Vista ? You'll have to wait for another early adopter to post a message.

If that doesn't help, turn firewall off in the router (see tutorial on setting up for how to access the router user interface).

But don't run for too long without one firewall -- it's there for a reason.
      Last edited by fihart; 19-04-07 at 07:19 PM. Reason: caution

philbridges is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02380
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Remote firewall blocking the connection

Also, It would be worth checking to make sure there isn't a trial version of McAfee or Norton Internet Security running either, out the box they can block WiFi and you have to permit the network access to that range .. 192.168.0.X yada yada ya...