Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless not working

This is a discussion on Wireless not working within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; As a Bt customer i used a Netgear MR314 router and a wireless PC card version Netgear WG511. This combo ...

Peter No6 A Freeman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless not working

As a Bt customer i used a Netgear MR314 router and a wireless PC card version Netgear WG511. This combo worked great. Now with sky i have a DG834N and i am using my Netgear WG511 wireless card. I have not been able to connect with this combo. Sky say i need their wireless card, do i????. I used Google to try to find a answer and found my way to the address below. It says to type in IP address 192.168.0.1. when i do this i am asked to input username and password. The username and password as listed on the Url below does not work. I have been trying since November 2006 and i have to used a cable to get online when previously i had a working wireless. If i was not under contract to sky i would go back to BT. With BT all was well.
      My machine is a Dell Inspiron Laptop, windows home, 40 gb h/drive 512ram.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

4 steps to set up your home wireless network

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless not working

You don't need to buy a wireless card from Sky. Your present model is 802.11g compliant, I think, so your first problem is applying Sky's WPA encryption passphrase to your wireless adapter.

This should have been supplied to you as an eight character alphanumeric code. If you can do that you don't immediately need to do anything to the router.

For reference, access to the router's user interface is changed from the standard Netgear login.

User is admin Password is sky.

If you have no luck connecting by wireless, see if your Dell has a network connector socket and link to the router with one of the yellow ethernet cables Sky supply. From there, I would temporarily disable encryption to check that yoru can access using your wireless card. Then figure out how to apply encryption -- if you can't use WPA for some reason use WEP.

geralddelapascua is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless not working

Hi there,

Re your issue below, I don't know what your symptoms were exactly, but I had the exact same hardware. My problem was that it would ask for a network key, but it wouldn't accept the key that sky gave me, saying it had to be 8 or 20 chars or something like that.

I found the latest drivers for the card on the netgear site, now you need to be careful as there are v1 and v2 cards, and you must install the correct drivers for the correct card. Mine was a v1, the file was called WG511v300.zip. it was a simple case of uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling.

Not sure that your problem is the same, but there appears to be changes between different versions of netgear routers, and your problems started when you swopped to this router, so I think upgrading to the latest drivers would be sensible, to at least remove this possible cause of the problem,

Good luck with your issue, and let me know if you get it working,

Cheers Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by Peter No6 A Freeman View Post
      As a Bt customer i used a Netgear MR314 router and a wireless PC card version Netgear WG511. This combo worked great. Now with sky i have a DG834N and i am using my Netgear WG511 wireless card. I have not been able to connect with this combo. Sky say i need their wireless card, do i????. I used Google to try to find a answer and found my way to the address below. It says to type in IP address 192.168.0.1. when i do this i am asked to input username and password. The username and password as listed on the Url below does not work. I have been trying since November 2006 and i have to used a cable to get online when previously i had a working wireless. If i was not under contract to sky i would go back to BT. With BT all was well.
      My machine is a Dell Inspiron Laptop, windows home, 40 gb h/drive 512ram.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

4 steps to set up your home wireless network