Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PCI card/USB adapter?

This is a discussion on PCI card/USB adapter? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello there, getting my sky router delivered tomorrow and ordered a netgear usb adapter but having a look on here ...

purpledobra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile PCI card/USB adapter?

Hello there, getting my sky router delivered tomorrow and ordered a netgear usb adapter but having a look on here doesn't seem as theough a 54mbps is good enough, especially at the price.

I presume that the router is going behind my tele as that is were the telephone socket is. I've moved from Telewest and my PC is in the loft directly above my bedroom, which in turn is directly above the tv. As you can imagine I want the best reception for downloads and internet speed but don't want to trail a cable through the house.

My question is simple, what should I get? I've been looking at the Belkin F5D7001UK at currys for £27. Would this be much better than the netgear dongle?

Thanking you all in advance for your swift and informative replies

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: PCI card/USB adapter?

I assume the Belkin is PCI. Not a bad brand but £27 doesn't sound like a bargain.

I have an obsolete 802.11b (11mbs max) no-name PCI card and it's way better than my 54mbs Netgear USB dongle.

The issue with wireless is (as far as possible) strong and reliable reception -- you almost always lose speed compared to an ethernet cable direct from computer to router. Even on Sky Max (and 300 yards from the exchange) I get 11mbs at the router instead of the alleged 16mbs (so the speed of the wireless adapter is a little academic).

My advice -- if you can -- connect direct and then look around for a PCI wireless adapter at between £15 and £20 (preferably a major brand like Netgear, Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, for driver updates and support)
      Last edited by fihart; 11-04-07 at 11:13 PM.

purpledobra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for that, went to curry's and they had the belkin pci card for £20 so got that to try out. All I need is for sky to send me the bloody router. called them last monday and said it was with the courier. Still not received as of today so called them and they said its got lost!!!!! and have to send a new one out today. Strike 1!!!!!

UncleMonty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello all, new boy here

Iíve just done the same thing, moved from Telewest to Sky, Iím new to wireless networking so Iíve done a bit of research. I understand that the sky modem is Netgear so I was going to get the same brand adaptor.

The one Sky offer for £23 is the WG111T (USB) though I can find it £5 cheaper on ebay, Iíve looked on the Netgear site and they suggest for larger & older houses you need something with longer range, I live in Victorian terrace with thick internal walls, the modem will be on the ground floor and my PC in a converted loft so itís two flights up through two solid walls, is this marketing bulls@#t or do I need a one with longer range, they suggest something like the WG311T (PCI & Super G) for £28 Ė is anyone using this in a similar house ?

Iíve also though about running a 15m network cable up the outside of the house then back in through the eves of the roof into my loft, not sure how these cables with weather outside though.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

According to an IT manager mate and another friend who uses Netgear RangeMax -- the extra money is worth it. As I've said in another post, a neighbouring shop has a RangeMax router and my computer picks up their signal more strongly than the signal from our own Sky router which is much nearer me.

I have noticed that if you place both the router and computer near windows on the same side of the building you may circumvent problems of brick walls, iron girders, zinc cladding, cordless phones, video senders and the other hazards to home wireless networking.

Bear in mind that your neighbours will be able to pick up your signal for up to 300 metre away. So some encryption might be wise.