Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

laptop wireless

This is a discussion on laptop wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi guys am new to the forum so please excuse if this is an old question. ive have just connected ...

floggit369 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile laptop wireless

hi guys am new to the forum so please excuse if this is an old question.
      ive have just connected to sky bband through my laptop using ths yellow cable. All is fine, however if i disconnect and try to connect wirelessly using my laptop i get a connected sign in the wireless network box but cannot display any web pages, it does however say ive sent and recieved some packets,
      Can anyone help? do i have to purchase skys own adapter? (which seems a b it much as it connects to other networks so i know its ok)

Any help many thanks ...steve.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: laptop wireless

I'm assuming your wireless adapter Scan or Site Survey software is able to 'see' the Sky router -- usually has an SSID name like SKY123456.

Probably, you can't connect because you haven't set up WPA encryption on your wireless adapter -- Sky will have supplied you with a passphrase (an eight character alphanumeric).

Alternatively, using the yellow cable to connect to the router, open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. A login box to the router's user interface will appear. User name is admin and the Password is sky. From there go to Wireless and temporarily disable encryption. Log out and see if you can connect wirelessly. Then figure out how to apply encryption.

You should also disable UPnP in the router because it is faulty.

floggit369 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi, thanks, i should have explained better lol. my laptop will actually connect to sky and show time connected/network /sig strength, but when i try to open a web page it just comes up page not available, but i am shown as connected to sky, have tried your suggestion and results are same, could not find menu for upnp though.Any further help app , thanks,

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a gut feeling but it sounds like a DNS server problem. Double click on your wireless icon on the task bar (to get your properties window up). Next click on the support tag and click details. This should list your DNS server, either as 192.168.0.1 or 195.40.1.250

if it is 192.168.0.1 trying setting it manually t0 195.40.1.250

Iain79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Deptford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This sounds very similar to a problem I have been having.

At one stage i could connect wirelessly to the router but now nothing. My IP address is listed as 0.0.0.0.

Once you click the support tab how exactly do you manually enter DNS server?

Many thanks

bewlay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have been having exactly the same problem since receiving a replacement router from sky about a week a go. I seem to have fixed it tonight, by changeing the encription to WEP, and tinkering with the settings. Im not sure at this stage exactly what ive done, but it seems to be working, fingers crossed.

Maybe some of the guys here who know what they are doing could explain to you how to set up WEP encryption? I would try, but im fumbling in the dark with mine.