Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WEP vs WPA-PSK

This is a discussion on WEP vs WPA-PSK within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice or recommendation on this. I fairly recently got myself ...

velcro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Liberton
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Question WEP vs WPA-PSK

Hi

Hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice or recommendation on this.

I fairly recently got myself hooked up with Sky Connect. I've setup my wireless network at home using WPA-PSK, which is working great for the PC, PS3 and most of the other devices I have.
      However I've just looked at my other halves Nintendo DS - it only handles WEP encryption.

Is WEP any less secure than WPA-PSK? I just don't know if it's worthwhile re-configuring my router then all my devices to allow the DS to get online?
      I just want to know the pro's and cons.

Thanks

Matt

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: WEP vs WPA-PSK

WEP is less secure, but enough to deter all but the most serious snoopers.
      How many of them are there within range of your typical suburban home anyway ?

Most things I read about encryption exaggerate the risks for dramatic effect (e.g. today's Sunday Times). Manufacturers claims for wireless range (usually 100 metres) are based on line of sight -- and we're working indoors with brick walls, metal beams, glass etc around us.

You might notice a neighbour's network but it would have to be close to establish a reliable link -- unless they put the router on the window ledge (which many do because the phone line comes in there).

I'm quite happy using WEP (the best wireless adapter I have is an old PCI card that doesn't support WPA). But to be safe I have changed the router's SSID from Sky (which is a clue to the IP address)and the default User Name and Password (the ones needed to access the router's setup screens).

Lastly, though WPA is cleverer -- it spends some time rotating your password each time you log on which may slow you down slightly more than WEP.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

According to the pc magazines i`ve read regarding WPA v's WEP, they say neither is actually any more difficult to 'hack' through than the other!

Have a look here Nintendo DS Wi-Fi uses obsolete WEP security - Joystiq
      Hopefully it'll help you.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I dont know how, But try Wireless Access Control;
      http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=nb...e=m_access.htm

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

According to the pc magazines i`ve read regarding WPA v's WEP they say neither is actually any more difficult to 'hack' through than the other
      This is completely wrong. WPA with a strong key is much more difficult to break. Infact breaking WPA is not trivial, WEP on the other hand can be broken in under 10 mins quite easily. I would recommend using a least WPA-PSK or more preferably WPA2 Personal.

A lacsadasical attitude to computer security is what makes life easy for identity theives, hackers, etc.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

The point i was making was both CAN be broken. Anyone who doesn't use encryption ( like my neighbour )is asking for trouble, and it would appear 'some' people may not be able to use WPA for one reason or another so what are they supposed to do.
      The point in question was "is WEP" less secure. I only quoted what i have read which i would assume the magazines in question would know what they were talking about, and 'some' security is better than none!
      At the end of the day even making up a wireless access point and hiding your SSID isn't a guarantee that somebody persistant enough wont 'break in'.

*i'm sure a quick 'google' for "how fast can WPA be cracked", or "which is better WEP or WPA" will throw up some sites*
      Last edited by Russ; 01-04-07 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added the comment between the * *

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WPA-PSK attacks work by using brute-force dictionary attacks. Therefore all you need to do to circumvent them is to use a strong password containing a mixture of letters (upper and lowercase), numbers and symbols.

WEP can be cracked by the fact it uses weak IVs and a small key space.

As previously mentioned WPA
      with a strong key
      is not trivial to break. WPA with a strong password is about as difficult to break as SSL (which isn't easy).

Also mentioned was hiding your SSID. This is pointless, its like removing the numbers from your front door to reduce the chance of being burgled.

Bottom line from me is WEP is useless because it is so insecure. WPA (with a strong password) is very secure. WPA2 is very very secure.
      Last edited by armitasp; 01-04-07 at 07:45 PM.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think what I object to is hysterical comments like the Sunday Times' that using wireless without security is like leaving your front door open. This is nonsense -- leaving your front door open is inviting opportunist thieves to make off with tangible and very saleable assets.

I have found a number of working computers dumped on the streets -- some outside businesses. The amount of data useful to a criminal on them is minimal -- assuming that the average passer-by is a criminal and has the knowledge to actually locate the data.

Ditto your home network.

You only have to look at the sheer volume of queries on this site to see that very many people are having difficulty using Sky simply because encryption is applied by default.

In the majority of cases it is not needed.

velcro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Liberton
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Cheers for the advice guys.

I've decided to not let her have the DS online lol.
      I'd prefer to keep the WPA-PSK you see, even though I've tied my access down via MAC address as well.
      Nevermind huh?
      Perhaps Nintendo will eventually provide updates to allow comms that way too. But I won't hold my breath....

Matt