Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up a home network?

This is a discussion on Setting up a home network? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sorry to bother you with this n00bish question guys, but i got a bit of an issue with networking both ...

woodins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Setting up a home network?

Sorry to bother you with this n00bish question guys, but i got a bit of an issue with networking both my machines. I have a desktop which is connected via ethernet to the router and a laptop that connects via wireless. Somehow, i have no probs connecting my laptop to the internet via wifi and get no prbs whatsoever. Unfortunately, i can get both machines to beable to transfer files between each other. They can both see the netgear router in "MY network places" and i have run the wireless wizard, but i still cant seem to set up a home network. Can anyone give me a few pointers as to where i am going wrong? Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Setting up a home network?

Ensure firewalls on both machines allow the fire sharing!

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Either File and printer sharing is not set up correctly or you need to configure the firewalls to allow access from the other PC.

It is probably the firewalls, that is the usual reason, but could be either.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Make sure BOTH systems are on the SAME network group.. e.g. MSHOME and OFFICE..

Fire & Brimstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pollok
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Setting up a home network?

I have a similar prob. I am having problems with my home network. My MAIN computer is hard wired (Ethernet) into the wireless router and my OTHA is connected via wireless. Both can access the internet ok independently of the other, my main can access shared files on the OTHA but the OTHA cannot access any shared files on my MAIN (Both are set up to allow sharing). My MAIN uses XP Home and the OTHA uses XP professional. Router is operating fine. I have tried closing both firewalls whilst Broadband is disconnected but still no joy.

Can anyone tell me which computer is incorrectly set up or where I am going wrong? I have tried various options but so far forehead is very flat hitting the brick wall so often. Both are on the same network group.

Cheers.

Laudon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01489
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

FibreOptic is quite correct in order to have two or more computers which are connected to the same router be able to share files with each other, each one MUST be part of the same work group, use the Network set up wizard to ensure this is set correctly on each computer where you want to share files. Folders on each computer will also have to have their properties set to enable file sharing.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Setting up a home network?

As my flat forehead will testify, both computers are part of the same group, network wizard has been ran numerous times with no sucess. both computers have had the required files set to allow sharing, as one computer can access the other I must be doing something wrong or is there a difference between XP Home and XP Professional?

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Im sure its to do with permissions, Is it that the XP Home machine can access the XP Pro, But not the other way.?

If so, Its because XP Home has different settings as its not made for networkng.

Try this;
      Log on to the XP Pro computer as an administrator.

Open a command prompt by going to start>run and typing cmd, then clicking ok
      Type the following commands:
      net user guest

net user guest /active:yes

Hit enter after each command, try your network after you do this. XP Home doesn't have the same security features as xp pro so it can't provide the proper login information to the pro computer. You'll have to enable the guest or "Everyone" option in the security on the shared files and printers.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Setting up a home network?

FibreOptic,

Tried what you said on computers but no joy, both computers already allowed guest access but I did what you said anyway.

Would ASPNET have anything to do with it?

After re-reading all the posts I downloaded a program called Advanced IP Scanner and when it ran it failed to pickup the NETBIOS workgroup HOME for the XP Home Computer but did pick it up for my XP Professional computer. I have confirmed that according to system properties the XP Home Computer is under the workgroup HOME. How can I resolve the NETBIOS anomaly?
      Last edited by Fire & Brimstone; 07-04-07 at 11:53 PM. Reason: New Info