Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless adaptor

This is a discussion on Wireless adaptor within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; The Sky router is now working upstairs - yards away from PC (downstairs )which has no inbuilt wireless card. My ...

Crazy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Wireless adaptor

The Sky router is now working upstairs - yards away from PC (downstairs )which has no inbuilt wireless card. My laptop which has a card won't work with the router - even when the 192.168.0.1 code is entered. Customer services just seem to pass the buck. They have told me to get a WG111T vers 2 wireless adaptor for each computer even though the laptop has a card. I regret going with SKY and wish I'd gone with BT who at least come round and sort out the problem. The 'engineer' who unsuccessfully put in the router etc just told me to phone tech support as he didn't deal with problems when it didn't work.
      Is there another solution? The telephone extension leads to PC just kills the signal from upstairs.

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless adaptor

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
      The Sky router is now working upstairs - yards away from PC (downstairs )which has no inbuilt wireless card. My laptop which has a card won't work with the router - even when the 192.168.0.1 code is entered. Customer services just seem to pass the buck. They have told me to get a WG111T vers 2 wireless adaptor for each computer even though the laptop has a card. I regret going with SKY and wish I'd gone with BT who at least come round and sort out the problem. The 'engineer' who unsuccessfully put in the router etc just told me to phone tech support as he didn't deal with problems when it didn't work.
      Is there another solution? The telephone extension leads to PC just kills the signal from upstairs.
      You have some options:
      1 - Move the PC
      2 - Get a long Ethernet cable and run it from the PC to the Router
      3 - Buy the wireless dongles that Sky recommend (or take your chances with another manufacturers)
      4 - Give us a bit of info on the existing wireless card on your laptop to see if anyone here can help make it work with the router

It's not really Sky's fault that you don't have cables available for your PC or a compatible wireless card though is it!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Wireless adaptor

Sorry - you're right. But no-one suggested the longer ethernet cable. That sounds a really good idea. Will try that before thinking about wireless. Also having read threads wireless can be weaker.
      I have the laptop in a state which says it is connected - but it seems to be searching for the site using google then just gives message Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
      I think it is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless2915ABG Network connection - whatever that means.
      Is it a 1394 Adaptor - these are all items mentioned - this is in1394 connection properties.
      Thanks for any help - this is getting so complicated when I was led to believe it was so easy.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you can use an Ethernet cable then that would be the best solution for yor PC at least as you will get the best possible connection speeds compared to wireless.

As far as your Laptop card goes I think it should be able to connect as it is from the same family of wireless cards as my own Intel 2200BG. How do you manage the wireless card - do you use WIndows built in wireless manager or the Intel manager?

Assuming you are on Windows XP then click on Start ~ Connect To ~ Show All Connections and then right click on your wireless connection and choose Properties. Choose the middle tab - "Wireless Networks" - and make sure that the checkbox is ticked next to "Use windows to configure my wireless network"

While you are there, look at the box below that lists your preferred networks and delete any that appear - this will prompt Windows to go looking for the routers required settings in a moment.

Now click on the button "View Wireless Networks" and click refresh and wait for the SKY network to appear. Click connect and enter your Network Password (case sensitive so if it's in capitals letters use capital letters) and let us know what happens

It's not your 1394 interface by the way - that is a firewire connection.
      Last edited by the_sky_goat; 27-03-07 at 05:16 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Wireless adaptor

Thanks for that. Tried it and same thing happened. SKY appears to be connected and searching - I searched for Google - but just as it appears the search is successful the same message appears that Internet explorer cannot display the page. Am wondering whether it's because I am using a laptop from work with a 'work' Internet explorer on it. Am legitimately using it - no problem there. Am off work ill so cannot ask Network support for help. I am now downloading the free Firefox from PC and will try installing it on laptop from a memory stick. Will this makle any difference?
      I have still been unable to buy cable for PC so am still not on broadband. Son tried local PC World who only had 15m cable. Will have to try an internet shop.
      As you have gathered I am not a whizz at the detail of computers but do rely on them for just about everything.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Crazy,
      I am afraid that wirelss is not exactly what it is cracked up to be. Firstly it can be easy but it can also be a right pain getting everything connected, especially if all the bits belong to different generations of hardware. Secondly, it rarely achieves the range it is supposed to.
      If you have the option, I would certainly, try to use long wires! It avoids "even going there". You can get a 50m cat5e cable ( not cross-over) rom ebay for less than 20.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Wireless adaptor

Wireless now working this morning - after an annoying day yesterday when for no apparent reason it did work then it didn't. Fingers crossed it will now be OK. Thanks for post regarding cable - tried putting in a search and it came up with routers- so I will try for the cable name you suggested.
      Am I naive to think I might be getting there!
      tHanks for help.