Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Adaptor

This is a discussion on Wireless Adaptor within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have the Sky Wireless Router upstairs and a Sky Netgear Adaptor downstairs, the Netgear Adaptor works fine for about ...

onebubblygal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littleborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Wireless Adaptor

I have the Sky Wireless Router upstairs and a Sky Netgear Adaptor downstairs, the Netgear Adaptor works fine for about an hour then totally loses any signal. The settings for it show that it on off on off searching for IP address. This is driving me mad, how can i sort it out? Somebody please help me.....

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Adaptor

Wireless signal strength can vary or you might be suffering intermittent interference from a neighbouring wireless network or from other wireless devices (cordless phone and base station, mobile, video sender etc).
      There's a known bug in the router's UPnP facility which causes symptoms similar to those you mention.

See tutorials on this site for how to access the router's user interface to change channels and turn off UPnP.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd download netstumbler and see what other wireless networks are operating. The only non-overlapping channels are 1, 6 and 11. If you are close to a channel some one else is using, change to a different one (e.g. if someone is on 9, you switch to 1). If it is just a signal problem you could try shouting louder by buying a high gain antenna (from somewhere like dabs.com). Unfortunately wireless is flaky due to its nature.

alexg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onebubblygal View Post
      I have the Sky Wireless Router upstairs and a Sky Netgear Adaptor downstairs, the Netgear Adaptor works fine for about an hour then totally loses any signal. The settings for it show that it on off on off searching for IP address. This is driving me mad, how can i sort it out? Somebody please help me.....
      Which Netgear Adaptor are you using?

Are you getting many Rx errors?
      (click on the netgear icon by the clock, click on statistics)

If you haven't already, try updating the wireless adapter to the latest firmware.

Use this link and find the product ID in the list.

NETGEAR Support Home Page

I just updated mine recently and realized that it was the card, not the router or the router firmware that was the cause of all my problems. I use the WG511T