Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router to Router connection

This is a discussion on Router to Router connection within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, Just found this site today and it's a great useful site with loads of help and info as ...

the_game is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router to Router connection

Hi All,

Just found this site today and it's a great useful site with loads of help and info as i know how much of a pain in the ass SKY can be, believe me i went through agony to get my BB all going with them not to mention the expense of calling them all the time for reasons that were no fault of my own.

Anyway i have 2 of the standard sky routers (834gt i think they are) and i was wondering if it was at all possible to extend the range of my wireless network by using them both together somehow? I do also have another wireless router (speed touch) which i could also use if needed?

Failing this would an easier solution be to just buy a netgear (or similar) rangemax usb dongle or do the extended range adapters only work with their fellow extended range routers?

Thanks,
      Matt

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router to Router connection

The Netgear site has a guide to using a router as an access point.

Or post you query on their user forum. I know that similar questions have been answered there before.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am not familiar with the Sky router, but I am familiar with Netgear equipment. What you need to do is to configure the second router as an access point only. Then you can configure a "point to point bridge" between the main wireless router and the access point ( this requires configuring in both units). I have this setup ( albeit using different hardware ) and the range is amazing.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh, I went in to the Sky router, and I am afraid it does not support point to point bridging. Your only other possibility is to set it up as a repeater. Actually, I forgot to look to see if it can do that, but, frankly, I doubt it can, since it can't do point to point.