Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

*** advice before my installation please***

This is a discussion on *** advice before my installation please*** within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi new here. just found your great site. i'm migrating over to sky max from orange. less said about them ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question *** advice before my installation please***

hi
      new here. just found your great site.
      i'm migrating over to sky max from orange. less said about them the better!!
      before i arrange installation i could do with a little advice.
      my desktop which is at present in my lounge downstairs and connected to my main socket and ethernet cable to my livebox / router, is moving to an upstairs bedroom where there is no bt socket. i also have 2 wireless enabled laptops in the house.
      what will i need to get in advance of my installation visit to make my desktop wireless enabled? the router will have to remain downstairs near to my bt socket i presume??
      it is fairly old (5-6 years) Packard Bell, win xp home, USB 1.1, 512mb ram.
      it is fine for my very basic needs and don't want to get rid of it just for the sake of it!!
      will this setup be acceptable. i really have no way of getting a bt socket upstairs without trailing wires everywhere.
      many thanks
      tony.

2. Advertisement
      traineetech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: *** advice before my installation please***

u may have to get a usb 2.0 pci card installed as the netgear adapters that sky supply are usb 2.0 and don't work well in a usb 1.1 or shop around for a usb 1.1 wireless dongle just make sure it can do wpa encryption as that is what the router is default set to also the install disk that comes with the router only installs i.e 7 and mcafee suite so if u have norton already on anny of your systems then no need to put the cd in unless u completely uninstall norton, unfortunatley due to the amount of different wireles dongles sky can't support them all (just too many)they will only support the netgear ones you can purchase direct from sky

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You'll need an 802.11G standard wireless adapter for your desktop computer. I'd recommend a PCI card (rather than USB) because they seem more powerful. As the Sky router is Netgear brand, you might as well go with them, though I user a cheaper no-name model daily.

As far as the laptops are concerned, check what wireless system they use. If they are the older 802.11b type, they are perfectly usable, but you will have to change the Sky's router's encryption mode from WPA to WEP.

Sky may offer you an 802.11g Netgear USB adapter -- and they will support what they sell. However, you will generally get better hardware support from this site (skyuser.co.uk) or Netgear themselves.

There are several other tricks to wireless troubleshooting so I'll tack on some standard text which might help:

These steps are useful when you have wireless trouble.

First connect to the router by ethernet cable. Log in to the router's user interface using Internet Explorer. You do this by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of the browser.You should then see a log in box. The User name is admin the Password is sky.

Check that the router is set to broadcast SSID name (usually SKYXXXX) and then change it -- because a neighbour may have the same router as you and also be on factory settings (which will confuse you).

Find the setting for UPnP and turn it off (it's got a bug in it and may cause disconnections).

Disable all encryption temporarily.

Log out of the router and turn it off for a minute, then on again.

If poss. put the computer in the same room as the router to eliminate issues of wireless range.

Preferably let your wireless adapter's utilities manage the connection (rather than Windows). Turn off the Windows firewall temporarily.

Scan for any neighbouring wireless networks and make sure you are at least three channels away from them (I use Netstumbler which also displays noise/interference).

Turn off or relocate: cordless phone and base, mobile/cellphone, video senders etc.

Once everything is working re-enable encryption and Windows firewall. The WPA passphrase should have been supplied by Sky -- if not, you can create your own (write it down somewhere safe).

Apply the passphrase to both the router and the adapter.

If one of your computers has a wireless adapter which doesn't support WPA you'll have to change to WEP encryption for all of them.
      Last edited by fihart; 20-03-07 at 10:29 AM.

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

many thanks for replies.
      so to sum up, i should buy a netgear wireless dongle 802.11g. that will work in my pc i gather??
      the laptops are fairly new and are 802.11g as well i believe.
      thanks again. if i have misunderstood any info pls advise.
      cheers
      tony.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You may have range problems with a USB dongle -- though the Netgear one is better than some.

If you can wield a screwdriver, I'd go for a PCI (internal card) wireless adapter for your desktop.