Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wireless help required windows Vista

This is a discussion on Wireless help required windows Vista within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Help required just got new laptop details below: COMPAQ C542EA LAPTOP Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2060 1.6GHz 533MHz FSB 2MB Cache ...

adlams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Wireless help required windows Vista

Help required just got new laptop details below:

COMPAQ C542EA LAPTOP
      Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2060 1.6GHz
      533MHz FSB
      2MB Cache
      1GB RAM
      80 GB Hard Drive
      Super Multi DVD R/RW Drive
      15.4 Bright view Wide screen
      Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
      128MB Intel 950 GMA Shared Graphics

For some strange reason I am unable to connect to the Internet using the wireless connection. Click on icon to bring up list of connections, select mine and then it asks me to put the password in do this and it fails.

Also when I connect laptop up with Ethernet cable, and i have a connection which is faster than old wirless connection on old laptop 5.5 meg
      I am on sky broadband and everything else works fine on old laptop, wireless and Ethernet getting speeds on 4meg.

i have loaded the latest vista broadcom drives for wirless, have changed channels in router. can connect to other wirelss connections in area OK.

Sky have told me that built in wireless device is not compatable so i need to but USB adpt from them, will this work.

Any ideas suggestions or help Please.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless help required windows Vista

Your laptop has built-in wireless, presumably, and as it is a new model it should have 11g which supports WPA encryption. So I don't see how Sky can suggest that you need to buy an adapter from them.

However, to eliminate one possible issue I would go into the Sky router and temporarily turn off all encryption.

You can do this by connecting using the ethernet cable and opening Internet Explorer. Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and a sign in box should appear supply the user name which is admin and the password which is Sky.

While you're in there, turn off UPnP because it causes problems. Log out and switch the router off for a minute and then on again.

General thoughts when troubleshooting wireless: if pos. put the computer in the same room as the router to avoid issues of range. Turn off or relocate cordless phone and base station, mobile phones, video senders etc.

Look out for neighbours' wireless networks and choose a frequency at least three channels away.

If WPA is causing the problem, WEP will probably provide enough security for most situations.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Your laptop has built-in wireless, presumably, and as it is a new model it should have 11g which supports WPA encryption. So I don't see how Sky can suggest that you need to buy an adapter from them.

However, to eliminate one possible issue I would go into the Sky router and temporarily turn off all encryption.

You can do this by connecting using the ethernet cable and opening Internet Explorer. Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and a sign in box should appear supply the user name which is admin and the password which is Sky.

While you're in there, turn off UPnP because it causes problems. Log out and switch the router off for a minute and then on again.

General thoughts when troubleshooting wireless: if pos. put the computer in the same room as the router to avoid issues of range. Turn off or relocate cordless phone and base station, mobile phones, video senders etc.

Look out for neighbours' wireless networks and choose a frequency at least three channels away.

If WPA is causing the problem, WEP will probably provide enough security for most situations.
      Have tried all the above but still get windows cannot connect any other ideas?

skytech superuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: NTL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the reason why you where told by sky agent that you can't connect wireless on vista is because sky agents have not been trained on vista and depending on the agent on the phone if you get help or not but i do know it works ok.

I have got loads of customers connected and many times took the call over from the agent on the phone so both netgear dongle and wireless NIC work ok,

just ensure its 32-bit operating system on computer, dongle will not work with 64-bit operating system you can check this by clicking start button, right click my computer icon and selecting properties and it will say 32/64-bit operating system

hope it helps

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try the HP wireless assistant. Download here > Software & Driver downloads*Compaq Presario C542EA Notebook PC
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skytech superuser View Post
      the reason why you where told by sky agent that you can't connect wireless on vista is because sky agents have not been trained on vista and depending on the agent on the phone if you get help or not but i do know it works ok.

I have got loads of customers connected and many times took the call over from the agent on the phone so both netgear dongle and wireless NIC work ok,

just ensure its 32-bit operating system on computer, dongle will not work with 64-bit operating system you can check this by clicking start button, right click my computer icon and selecting properties and it will say 32/64-bit operating system

hope it helps
      It is 32-bit operating system on computer, I get a bocx appera called windows network diagnostics. It states the following:

Windows cannot connect to Adlams

Wireless association failed because windows did not recieve any response from the wireless router or access point.

The netgear box is next to the laptop, strange how other old laptop Win XP connects fine.

Any other ideas is netgear box faulty if i ring sky they will try to flog me a USb atp and you mention i should ocnnect Ok with out this.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adlams View Post
      It is 32-bit operating system on computer, I get a bocx appera called windows network diagnostics. It states the following:

Wireless association failed because windows did not recieve any response from the wireless router or access point.

The netgear box is next to the laptop, strange how other old laptop Win XP connects fine.

Any other ideas is netgear box faulty if i ring sky they will try to flog me a USb atp and you mention i should ocnnect Ok with out this.
      access router page (http://192.168.0.1 username admin password sky) with ethernet cable installed and click on wireless settings, check if tick in enable broadcast of name(SSID) and enable wireless access point, they should be ticked

if you click start button connect to and select wireless it will show available wireless networks, can you see sky****(followed by 5 digits) if so router is ok if not faulty bb box
      connect with network key(that is under bb box) if it doesn't work access router page again and change wireless signal to WEP 128bit

hope it works

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adlams View Post

access router page (http://192.168.0.1 username admin password sky) with ethernet cable installed and click on wireless settings, check if tick in enable broadcast of name(SSID) and enable wireless access point, they should be ticked

if you click start button connect to and select wireless it will show available wireless networks, can you see sky****(followed by 5 digits) if so router is ok if not faulty bb box

connect with network key(that is under bb box) if it doesn't work access router page again and change wireless signal to WEP 128bit

hope it works

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skytech superuser View Post

hope it works

Right router sky**** does appear so i know it is not that, have tried chnaging to WEP 128bit clikc on sky**** put in new key code but still get same message.

I have the updated broadcom drivers from the HP/Compaq site, but for the life of me I am uanble to connect to my wireless connection.

Can connect Ok to unsureced connections within area, so is it a latop fault or a hidden Vista setting.

AWW
      AWW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Kilbride,WSEKI
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

turn of the security and then try to connect

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast