Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

connected disconnected?

This is a discussion on connected disconnected? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been trying all night to get a friends sky broadband working using a USB adapter, I can only ...

nsp24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Starbeck
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

connected disconnected?

I have been trying all night to get a friends sky broadband working using a USB adapter, I can only get it to work if I disable the security. The pc is in the loft two floors up and the router is in the living room downstairs. We are trying the wireless option due to the distance from the router, the signal is 4 out of 5 bars and says excellent.

I have also got his sons laptop working in the loft which is getting 1.5mb speed.

If I enable the default security on the pc it says connected disconnected connected disconnected etc.

It also says acquiring network address and never does!

I have tried 2 PCI cards and one USB card with the same result, it works fine at my house via my sky router, it is picking up 2 other protected connections and one unprotected one which it works with fine. The router says there is a seven mb connection.

Any ideas what is wrong? Is it the distance from the router or is the router faulty?

Thanks

Nick

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: connected disconnected?

Download NetStumbler which is a great help in wireless troubleshooting.

Initially, set up the computer in the same room as the Sky router to eliminated issues of range. Easier to move the router to the computer (but note how to reconnect it).

Turn off UPnP in the router (it has a bug which causes disconnects).

Disable firewall and encryption temporarily.

Check for neighbours' networks on a channel adjacent.

Turn off mobile and cordless phones, video senders and all other wireless devices.

Try changing channels, anyway.

You'll probably find that a PCI card is more powerful than USB -- though you may have to swivel the whole computer to optimise reception, obviously with the USB extension cable aerial positioning is easier.

nsp24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Starbeck
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: connected disconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Download NetStumbler which is a great help in wireless troubleshooting.

Initially, set up the computer in the same room as the Sky router to eliminated issues of range. Easier to move the router to the computer (but note how to reconnect it).

Turn off UPnP in the router (it has a bug which causes disconnects).

Disable firewall and encryption temporarily.

Check for neighbours' networks on a channel adjacent.

Turn off mobile and cordless phones, video senders and all other wireless devices.

Try changing channels, anyway.

You'll probably find that a PCI card is more powerful than USB -- though you may have to swivel the whole computer to optimise reception, obviously with the USB extension cable aerial positioning is easier.
      Thanks for the reply,

I had tried a few of your suggestions already apart from netstumbler which I will have a look at for future setups, Just got back after running an Ethernet cable (30mtrs) and getting 5.5mb so he is happy at last!

I do think the problem was other wireless routers in the area but don't understand why the laptop worked ok?